vtec solenoid but no vtec?

CivGurl96

I had an extra y8 vtec head around and I was going to put it onto my civic that seemed to not have vtec. I then checked to see if it had a vtec solenoid and sure enough it did. I don't know whether or not the motor was correctly installed or at least if the vtec solenoid was correctly installed. myb there's a faulty wire? well if anyone can help me in trouble shooting this problem it would be much appreciated!

what do you wanna know? lol

I would want to know whether the motor is in fact vtec from the factory. Im positive the head came with the block so I just wanna know whether it's actually a vtec motor and if that's the case then I know the problem is electrical.

if your looking for the block code. look at where the tranny meets the motor on the front side of the block there will be a letter and 2 numbers a letter then another number. what are they.

he already told us that. its a D16Y8. next to the dizzy bud , on the back side of the engine. there should be a vtec solenoid. vtec doesnt kick in screaming on sohc engines dude , you sure its not working fine and your just not hearing it? does the car have power still? any bucking , coughing so on at any revs?

i know he said that it was vtec earlier but from his last post

I would want to know whether the motor is in fact vtec from the factory. Im positive the head came with the block so I just wanna know whether it's actually a vtec motor and if that's the case then I know the problem is electrical.

he still doesn't seem sure.....

well if it has a vtec solenoid then it's probably vtec right? I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to solve this problem... Before I took the car to my friends shop it had vtec but the block was bad so we switched motors, still a d16y8... but now the new motor doesn't have vtec engage. It has the solenoid so I am hoping this is just an electrical problem.

All I'm trying to figure out is what I can do to find out whether this is an electrical problem or the guy I got the new motor from fracked me over and gave me a non vtec.

well if it has a vtec solenoid , than its a vtec head. maybe its not running a vtec ecu? look at the sticker on the ecu , should say P2P on it.

well if it has a vtec solenoid , than its a vtec head. maybe its not running a vtec ecu? look at the sticker on the ecu , should say P2P on it.

well thats the thing... the old motor I had in there ran vtec fine... The block was in crapty condition but the vtec worked at least, assuming that the head was in ok shape. so I'm just confused as to what it could be. The only problem that I know the car has right now is the Idle solenoid needs to be replaced, because the car idles really low.

I'm hoping its the wiring.

who ever did the motor swap prolly forgot to connect a wire or cut the wire when they pulled the old and installed the new motor

Is it possible that the ecu might be for a d15 instead of the d16? the motor that was in the car when I bought it had the # melted off and it seemed like it was intentional. That seems like it's the only logical explanation, since all the wires are connected and the oil level is good.

look at the vtec solenoid there shold be a light green wire running to it make sure that the plug is connected to the solenoid and then if it is trace the light green wire to the ecu and make sure that it is not cut of pinched anywhere.

Is it possible that the ecu might be for a d15 instead of the d16? the motor that was in the car when I bought it had the # melted off and it seemed like it was intentional. That seems like it's the only logical explanation, since all the wires are connected and the oil level is good.

thats a big possibility. if the ecu is wrong then it won't work either.

Archived