Headlight/Aux. Light Installation and Aiming

TS John

So my angel eyes arrived and my new headlights are (hopefully) on their way. I haven't had to mess with headlights before, so I'm not sure how to properly install them and aim them so that I don't blind drivers as they come towards me. Will these new headlights automatically be set right since my old ones were? Is the aiming something best left to dealers (and if so how much would they charge if anyone knows)?

Also, as a side note, are those fancy bright, blue bulbs (I guess those are HIDs?) expensive? Do they really illuminate the road better or just look brighter from outside the car? Should I slap those in there when I do the headlights just cuz?

True HID's are trickier than "slapping them all". They require balasts and special bulbs, and retrofitting to get them on. Most people will tell you to keep the stock style of headlight bulbs, because gains, if any from another type are limited, and what you gain in one area you could lose in another. For instance, I like the "Cool Blue" Sylvania bulbs, because they are a little bit "whiter" light than the yellowish tinted stock bulbs, but they are horrible in the snow, rain, and fog, so I have to counteract that effect with yellow fog lights for that type of weather. I don't care for Silverstar's because I went through them entirely too fast (a bulb about every 2 months).

And no, the headlights you ordered will not be set when you get them. I haven't had the angel-eyes style, but I've heard that they add a whole different dimension to lining them properly because each lens can be adjusted, as opposed to just the 2 housings, but someone else will have to confirm that for sure. Either way, you will need to aim them. It also is not hard to do to stock headlights yourself.

lining up headlights is easy, there is a diagram in your cars manual that tells you how they should be aimed. you have to do something like ppark a certain distance from a flat surface and they are supposed to be pointing a certain distance off the ground. park in fron of your garage with your stock bulbs, measure where they are poiting, then aim the new ones in the same spots.

For instance, I like the "Cool Blue" Sylvania bulbs, because they are a little bit "whiter" light than the yellowish tinted stock bulbs, but they are horrible in the snow, rain, and fog, so I have to counteract that effect with yellow fog lights for that type of weather. I don't care for Silverstar's because I went through them entirely too fast (a bulb about every 2 months).

Shoulda spend the extra $$ on some PIAA's..... I love mine

I forget the ammount of drop your headlights have to have on high beams.... but you set your high beams to something like 6" drop over 20' and your low beams fall where ever. If no one knows the exact number by the time I get home from work, i'll tell ya.

i put a new set of projector driving lights on mine last nite john , lol. mount them to the bumper. wire them in dude. for aiming them , park the car on flat level aimed at a wall. measure how far the lights are from the ground. measure from the ground to where the top of the driving light beam is on the wall approx. and make them the same. so if the lights are a foot off the ground on the car. aim them so the top of the beam its throwing is the same. that way , they will light the best , without killing anyone oncomming , lol.

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I'll just get some super-brights and call it a day. To tell you guys the truth those HID blues give my mom a headache almost instantly when she sees them, and I don't wanna make my mom ill every time I pull into the driveway.

Yeah, I hear that angel eyes are a pain in the buttocks to install on sols, but I got them anyway. A little Christmas present to me, from me for being such a good boy this year, you know what I'm sayin'? (To be read with Master Shake's voice.)

I think there's a tutorial on teamsol that I'll look up. Dang mail didn't come today in other news. You'd think it was France over here with all the government sponsored holidays.... Hopefully I will have my headlights tomorrow, since I'm off work that afternoon and the day after sos I can fix my bumper/fenders and put in all the new lights. If all goes well I'll post pics even though I'm fairly sure my bumper will still be primer black. And I'll post up the pics from the accident that made all this necessary too.

Till then....

Archived