super charger vs. turbo charger

dannyboy131

HI, i have a 1990 acura integra LS and i want more power. i was thinking about an engine swap or boring out the cylinders but then i thought what about turbo charging or super charging it?? what is your opinion and is there a big difference between the 2?

Thnaks

supercharger has power all the time since it is belt driven, but because it is belt driven, it can only power so much.

a turbo charger has some lag since it runs off of the exhaust coming out of the engine, but it also has a higher potential of power and torque.

with either set up, there are modifications you are going to have to make to the engine to make sure that you dont blow it. sure, you can run low boost on stock internals, but it seriously shortens the lifespan of your motor. my advice, get a motor swap. i like the gsr motors myself.

b18c1

turbos are more effiecint, sense they don't use power from the motor, toher than spent exhaust, while super chargers use a belt, like robolander said. typically you turbo smaller engines, cause a little hp matters, while, for exzample, in a V8 you super charge that bad boy, cause a little hp doesn't matter to much.

A couple things I wanted to write off the top of my head.

--

Supercharger Pros - No lag, instant boost.

Turbocharger Pros - Very capable of high horsepower, good with four cylinders since it runs off exhaust and not the engines power.

Supercharger Cons - Not as capable, takes power from the engine to work which is not the smartest thing to do with a weak four cylinder.

Turbocharger Cons - Lag which varies on setup and boost, easy to over power and blow things.

Archived