Advice on buy a Prelude

Col

I am looking for another car - we have a Protege which will become my wife's ride in January, and my new vehicle doesn't need to be so sensible. I was looking at a JDM import 300ZX TT, but have been advised not to get one because of Calgary winters (I am new here). Likewise, I have been offered an old Supra Turbo which is also not so good for snow. Today someone advised the Prelude as a reasonable compromise, and a much lower maintenance vehicle.

Ideally I would like a faster and newer car, but these things seem to hold their value too well (and I don't NEED an ultra fast car)! So the choice I have is as such:

1 - Immaculate 92 SR (might be the Si in the US, it's the 2.3ltr@160bhp) with 133,000km, a full dealer service and brand new 17" wheels (Canadian $10k)

2 - 93 VTEC, clean with 235,000km, $6500 private.

3 - 2000 2.2ltr with 180k, $8200 private (underpriced compared to a book value of $12k, but who knows what condition? I will look at it tomorrow but am always suspicious of cheap cars)

What should I look for in these cars? Am I better getting the newer one, or is a 92 in immaculate condition (cleaner than my 2002 Mazda) the way to go? Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Col

Buy the 5th gen, I absolutly love mine to death, you wont be dissipointed.

I think that one may have gone - after arranging to see it last night the guy backtracked, saying that he had 2 people looking at it. Prices for everything are currently inflated in Calgary and people are selling stuff quickly, so the only underpriced model is either gone or there's something wrong. I'll call him back anyway. There are a few more on the market since I posted. I'm checking out a '98 out later, but it's 30% more than my budget. I could probably afford one if I were in the States :(

I'm checking out a '98 out later, but it's 30% more than my budget. I could probably afford one if I were in the States :(

It's now down to only 20% more than I want to spend on a car :)

Everything seems okay with it except the brakes. Are these cars heavy stoppers? It certainly wasn't sharp, but should I be comparing a '98 to an '02 Mazda Protege? I am told that the brakes and tyres are new, which is a blatant lie as the front is worn (or else the car was driven by Ricky Bobby). Driving the mazda on slushy roads hardly causes any ABS action, but I couldn't brake hard on most roads without it cutting in when driving the 'Lude. He has lowered his price to 12 (book is 11.5, but everything is higher than the book here). Should I be (a) avoiding it, (b) offering 10.5 and taking the problems on board or © pay and work out the problems later? I could wait for a mechanic check (which is welcomed), but if he is right in saying that everything is perfect then there goes any more bargaining.

Cheers for any quick advice, someone else is looking at it later!

I would do it, I love my Prelude and I fell in love with Preludes after test driving jsut about every car I could think of that was in my price range, I would try and talk him down to 11k though. My brother has an 03.5 Mazdaspeed protege. Not real sure what to tell you on the brakes though because as soon as I bought mine I replace the front and back with Brembo Crossdrilled and slotted rotors and also replaced all the calipers.

if i were, id try to get a 5th gen.

Alas, the only 5th gen in my price range had high km and a lot of cosmetic problems.

I would do it, I love my Prelude and I fell in love with Preludes after test driving jsut about every car I could think of that was in my price range, I would try and talk him down to 11k though. My brother has an 03.5 Mazdaspeed protege. Not real sure what to tell you on the brakes though because as soon as I bought mine I replace the front and back with Brembo Crossdrilled and slotted rotors and also replaced all the calipers.

You randomly say that your brother has an MSP3 - how does the Prelude compare? I tried to get the '98 seller down to 11k, but he wouldn't budge. By looking at the Honda inspection reports (he thought he hadn't kept them, but they were in the glove box) I can see that new front pads and rear calipers are needed to solve the braking issues, whilst the ABS problem is because there is not enough front tread for melting snow! He has agreed to fix these things with the Honda dealership if I meet the asking price. The good news is that I can now see that the car has had regular services and inspection with Honda, and that the wear is because he thinks new means 3 years old. I couldn't find anything else wrong with it, but I am not a mechanic. Maybe tonight I buy it...

How much am I looking at for a brake overhaul? I have considered doing the same myself as all the Prelude's I tested had iffy brakes. Could have been because of the snow o:)

Okay, it's done. Needs a new inner CV boot cover, 2 new tyres, alignment and front pads. $11,500 and I fix it up. The rear calipers are not perfect, but not necessary to fix at this time if I am thinking of upgrading the entire system in the summer. Overall it's a clean car at a reasonable price (unless you live outside Calgary, then it's expensive).

Now my wife doesn't want the Protege...>_<

so got the 5th gen prelude? eh?

My bad - thought the '98 was a 4th gen! I looked at a 2000 model which was poorly kept, and bought a nice '98. Yes, it's fun and I only got it late last night - and that was driving on ice with slick summer tires! I can't wait until that's sorted out later today...

I am really impressed by the prelude. I had always ignored them in the classifieds until a friend suggested that I take a look (knowing that I like Integras). I am glad I did - it's a good looking car, full of gadgets, easy to drive, quick AND has heated seats for Calgary winters!

bullcrap, heated seats!? damn, mine dones't have those :(. haha. congrats on a great buy my friend. i love mine, so does chubs, and i think everyone else who has one. haha.

Cheers! I though the heated seats were standard? Maybe that's a Canadian thing. They really make a difference in the morning :D

HOWEVER - all seasons don't help on the snow. I should have just bought winter tyres on rims... but I guess that's going to be an extra expense. I'll wait until it snows again and see if I hit anyone first... (j/k)

One immediate question - can the clutch be adjusted? The biting point is high on the pedal (i.e. pedal doesn't need to be pressed down all the way), but I prefer it to be lower. The mechanic who checked the car says that the clutch itself is good, but because it's hydraulic it can't be adjusted. Is this true, and is there anything I can do to change it?

Archived