shifting problems

B-Bomb

Ok, so today while I was driving on the highway I downshifted to 4th to pass a car and got to about 5k rpm before shifting to 5th, but when I went to shift it wouldn't go into gear. I tried pushing it up into gear and it made a grinding sound and I tried just easing it in and it wouldn't go. So then I tried putting back in 4th (all this time going about 80 and holding the clutch) but it wouldn't do that either, so i slowed into the break down lane and when I got down to about 30-ish tried putting in in 2nd and it worked. After that I kept going, shifted good until 5th and I had to sorta force it to go into place. After that it worked fine, shifted easy in all gears, but it worries me. Is it a tranny problem? or clutch? or anything else?

Also it's always had a bit of a problem shifting into 2nd gear, it doesn't grind or anything, it just doesn't shift smoothly. And about 2 months ago I had the tranny and clutch replaced. It had the 2nd gear problem before and after.

no sounds like a clutch prolem. try having a look at the slave cylinders movement while someone is stepping on clutch. maybe its needs to be bled. check the fluid.

no sounds like a clutch prolem. try having a look at the slave cylinders movement while someone is stepping on clutch. maybe its needs to be bled. check the fluid.

I think Cranny is right on... My wife's old Civic used to do funky stuff like that, and it would just need the hydraulic fluid topped off and it was golden. Check that before going too crazy...

Ok, I added fluid to the clutch resevoir and it hasn't given me any problems today, so I guess I'll see when I take it on the highway, but it was a bit low before I added so it should help.

it should , hydro clutches are touchy on the low fluid thing. like an old ford 2 ounces down on power steering fluid , they whine like a bitch , even only a little down.

Archived