swap the d16 or build what i have

elmikeo777

I have a '93 del sol si with the d16 v-tech, I would like to bump up the h.power and try to keep costs down. A lot of people seem to prefer to stick with the SOHC v-tec and bolt on some goodies (header,intake, exhaust) I'm pressuming to keep the front end stock and light...BUT...how much h.p. gain is there (realistically) with the bolt ons? What other inexpensive performance parts etc. could I do to the stock d16?Doing the work myself, a b16 swap (motor and trannie) should be around $1600-$2100 ish, and a gain of 45 horsepower (thats like about a 35 % gain, HOLY ____!!),Would a 2nd generation b16a be a simple swap, or do I have to stick with a 1st generation? Would my trannie, clutch, etc, bolt straight up to the second generation b16, or should i buy them together? All the JDMs online seem to average around 35,000 original miles, my car has 115,000 miles, it still runs very strong with absolutely no problems. Makes it hard to decide to put money into an engine that has 3 times the miles, and a lot less horsepower. Any discussion on this would be REALLY appreciated.

the basic intake, header, and exhuast will give you about 10-15 hp and cost around a grand. if you know how to swap motors, then that will save you a good amount of money, so swapping in a b16 sir II with 35,000 on it, would be something to consider. also with a b16, you will have a better base, so you could think about doing the bolt ons with that, or boost it with low psi so you wont have to do internal work

I deffo hear you man, about making it hard to build an engine with high miles and less power. Read up on the link posted -- I'm going to do Cranny's build hopefully by this summer (fingers crossed) and there are several other good options in there.

Swapping a B16 is pretty easy (for a swap) from what I hear, but I've never done it so.... It sounds pretty worthwhile, though.

Archived