D16 Builds ... Anyone?

Given you had a D16 and you wanted to keep it/build it, what would be your setup?

Daily Driven:

D16A6

PM7's

A6 Rods/ARP Rod Bolts

D16Z6 Head

Port Job

S2 IM Portmatched

Holley 65mm TB

SMS Header

Supertech Valvesprings/Retainers (Or RM)

New Geared Tranny

7lb Flywheel

Exedy or Action Clutch

AEM Cam gear

Comp III Cam

Tuned on Crome

That setup has made 158whp and 139wtq on a dyno nearby with a no name egay header. Talk about killing GSR swapped civics lol. Just a statement, I know the GSR is a better motor, so don't even start.

Track setup:

D16A6

Exospeed A6 Race Cam

AEM Cam Gear

Port Job

Si Valves .5 oversized Stainless Dish Faced

Block Sleeved to 78mm

Arias/CP 12.5:1 Pistons

Eagle Rods

New Geared Tranny

Fidanza Flywheel

SMS Header

Custom ITB's

Action or Exedy Clutch

Tuned on Hondata

That setup can easily put down 200whp. 1.7L of pure beast D-series. For about the price of a Type R swap or B20/VTEC build, you could easily run 12's with this.

Anyone else have any plans for a D one day, or am I the only one who loves em?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

< big fan of the single....i was once going to build a N/A d but my plans changed and started on the lsvtec., I had Crower stage 3 cam, crower valves/retainers, crower cam gear, arieas `11.9 pistons custom fit, on a D i would go boost though, those shts dipset

200whp aint gonna get you a 12sec 1/4 time. im not even gonna argue. but i do have a cool setup for you solles:

1)D15 block

2)D17 crank

3)D16Z6 head

4)D15B7 pistons

5)128.7 mm custom rods

6)D16Z6 head gasket

this good for 10.92:1 compression ratio. match that with a built head , your in business dude. a stroked D series , lol.

id love to build my D and boost it, but theres ZERO tuning shops around where i live. so finding someone with the knowledge to build it all, tune, and fix it when problems occur is about as easy as teaching the spelling of VTEC.

you did list some sweet setups there. are you ACTUALLY going to do one of them? im not being an ass, but you change your mind a lot and theres nothing wrong with that

Mycarsux - SC's like high compression.

Cranny, I have seen a full interior hatch with 165whp in a Z6 run 13.02. So yes, it will. Numbers mean nothing.

How long would a stroked motor last though.

so in theory, wouldnt a SC be better on a b18c since the compression is 10.1

i dont want to make this a turbo vs supercharger thread but for a daily driver with a b18 it seems a SC would be better?

You can get some incredible power out of a SC GSR.

Down low power as well as up high. Get a Centrifugal type (IMO) and ITR tranny. You could do all headwork, mill the head just for some extra compression, and a good tune = 300whp 230+ or so wtq.

Anyway - back to the D's.

dont think of a D series honda engine stroked like a V8 solles. a V8 stroker will not last very long , and most likely burn oil from the first day you start it up. hard on cylinder walls. on your compression calculator solles , at the bottom , keep your eye on the piston to deck clearance , and the rod stroke ratio.

a stock D16Z6 , has 9.14:1 compression ratio. a R/S ratio of 1.52. and a piston to deck measurement of 0.000. that means the piston hits the very top of the holes , unlike B series engines which dont. so keeping that in mind , and i fuked up with my first post solles kind of , i didnt push it to the limit , i didnt know the piston to deck on a Z6 stock was 0.000. so same setup:

D15 block

D17A2 crank

D16Z6 head

D15B7 pistons

stock Z6 head gasket

custom made 129.1mm piston rods(notice i said 128.7 earlier before i knew a stock Z6 ran 0.000 PtoD clearance)

now with my new calculations solles , this setup will give you 11.36:1 compression ratio , a rod stroke ratio of 1.37(not much lower than stock D16Z6 , which is good , higher the number the better). and a piston to deck clearance of a stock Z6 , 0.000. now this would be a bomb fukin setup solles , throw a full built head on that and grade A tuning with new , slightly bigger injectors , badass crap man. wouldnt suprise me to hit 220whp. maybe even higher dude.

I was playing around with some things today at work, and that sounds like a badass setup, and not too expensive. With a built tranny, that would be excellent.

I put a lot of miles on my car so I would definitely tune on Hondata.

Probably going to save and start that in summer.

Mycarsux - SC's like high compression.

Um....? Still depends on how much boost you are running.

Generally your roots type or screw types only put out like a max of 10psi, sooo.... yes you can run more compression, because you aren't running entirely too much boost.

To say that they like high compression, isn't entirely true.

right on dude , that would be like the sweetest sounding , awsome working fukin D , ever man , lol. throw a 50 shot of NOS to it solles , you will be running 12's easy , maube even high 11 with slicks and some traction dude , you never know , lol , WOOHOOO

Maybe a tranny built by SSR too.

All in all, I just wanna know it'll be a long lasting motor.

you know solles , i dont know how much youve worked on cars in your days yet , and im not being a weiner man , but , building your tranny would be a good project for you to do yourself imo. get the manual , a gear puller , some ring pliers , and dig in man. its really not hard dude , and if you had any prolems questions , i could help you or SSR. just would like to see you guys get your hands dirty , get under the hood and really learn whats going in in your engines and trannys. by taking them apart , it helps you to understand more of how they actually work.

as far as that setup lasting a long time , of course noone can predict the future ol buddy , but this i can tell you , given the R/S ratio is still not that low , and the fact its gonna be a naturally aspirated engine anyways , id say youl be just fine. the weakest part of that setup , given the fact its a stroker sort of , would be the rods (id say cylinder walls , but were nowheres near stroking that engine enough to wear cylinder walls prematurely). and youl be using custom rods anyways so. just get H rods. and be done with it. be a bomb engine man , without even using that many aftermarket pieces like you said , fairly cheap build for the end result. doing the head will cost you the most money.

i got some updates after further review of measurements solles. you cant use a D15 block with a D17 crank , mains are different sizes. but 96-00 D16 blocks are the same as D17. not that a lathe couldnt fix it but heres a new one.

96-00 D16 block

D17 crank

D15B7 pistons

D16Z6 head/gasket

now instead of custom rods , and i know solles will be excited , D15B7 rods will fit perfectly length wise. 134mm. problem is , the rod journals on the D17 crank are too big for B7 rods. so youd either have to have crank lathed for B7 rods. or rods resized at the bottoms(easier). so B7 rods are perfect. no custom rods needed for this build(sort of).

this updated setup is good for same compression ratio , 11.25:1. but now the R/S ratio is healthier , 1.42. so there ya go folks.

I thought we wanted R/S ratios above 1.6? I guess as close to that is preferable...?

How much would this setup run with a ported head in there, and how much power would it make do you suppose? And I am assuming premium gas, not some crazy racing fuel, right?

this will run on supreme gas for sure. maybe solles will agree , with a built head like i said before , this is gotta be good for 220 whp after tuning it good , with some slightly bigger injectors.

Archived