won't start when hot

Lizzy

my boy's 88 Civic wagon has a problem.

When the engine is cold it will start, idle, and drive great. But when the switch is turned off the car will not restart. It must set for a couple of hours before it will restart.

He had it towed to a mechanic who said it needed a new distributor. Cost would be 600 for a rebuilt one and 900 for a genuine Honda part.

Of course I said bull and had a friend go get the car and put it in a barn. Now that the weather is getting better I am ready to work on it.

I can get a rebuilt dist. from the local parts store for less than 200. But is that the place to begin? Is there something else that could be the problem?

Guest QbanHonda

hey well my mom had a similar problem. We changed everything in that car like the distributor and the computer and all that and it kept on doing the same thing. I was told there is a sensor that does that. I dont remember what its called but as soon as I find out I will let you know. This happened on a Mitsubishi Galant. But either way I will find out for you. Sorry I took so long in responding.

i think it is the sensor that goes into your headers. not sure on teh name right now but i think when u get your motor to hot the sensor will send a message to your ecu to turn on teh check engine light and if that stays on for awhile your engine will ahve a protective switch next time u try to start your car if it is too hot it wont start. idk i think that is what it coudl be

i think it is the sensor that goes into your headers. not sure on teh name right

oxygen sensor? just a guess...

yeah try checking your o2 senser. what honda_civicex95 is talking about. i bet that is what the problem is with your car. keep us posted on how everything turns out.

Guest QbanHonda

yea thats it the oxygen sensor. Well hope you do get it fixed soon. I mean and after that you might have to erase the check engine light cuz it will stay on no matter what. My mom got tired of the car so she traded it in to get me my civic whom i love :)

Archived