-=Rough idle and cooling issues=-

arlop

Hi,

I have a 93 Honda Accord 2.2 and it's giving me some grief in the cooling Dept. When I first start the car it run pretty good. After about 4-5 minutes of running, it starts to idle kinda weird, it starts at about 1000 RPMs then goes to 2000 then back down every 2 seconds.

I checked the thermostat and it was stuck wide open. I put a new thermostat back in with the PIN facing up, then opened the bleeder valve then filled it with coolant. I started the car and the same thing happened. The top radiator hose was super hot and the bottom one was almost cool to the touch.

The heater in the car never warms up.

When I open the bleeder nut and take the cap off it gushes like a geyser, which I think means that the water pump is working...?

Another thing I should add is that I just put a head gasket in. The previous owner put a bunch of what I think is silver stop leak stuff, so put a water hose in the radiator and let it run for about an hour to try to clean it out.

Any one have any Idea's

Thanks

Arlop

I had a similar problem on my 91 accord- except the idle was fine. I had changed the radiator and thermostat and it was overheating. The cooling fan wouldn't come on and the lower rad hose was almost cold. It turns out that the thermostat was not working. I read on another forum that Hondas don't like non-oem thermostats so I shelled out the extra $5 and got a dealer part. Everything was fine after that.

I had same problem, just need a new radiator. It’s probably all gummed up whit crap from being old. The pump will keep adding more and more pressure till the cap blows off. Replace the radiator and u will be all set.

Archived