Wheel offset issue with 91 Civic HB!!!

jrough

I'm a noob when it comes to Offsets of wheels so please be patient with me.

I recently purchased a set of 18" Axis Spider wheels w/ 215/35ZR-18 Kumho Ecsta Supra tires (40 Offset), and the 91 Civic HB "should" accomodate a 35-42 offset according to most places that I have looked at on the net and in magazines.

My question is why are the tires rubbing? The car has been lowered 3 inches all around. Is it because of the size of the wheel, the offset, camber or another reason perhaps? Could the offset information that I received be wrong. I could not find anything on Axis' website about the Spiders' offset info.

Could it be because of the larger wheels the top of the tire doesn't have enough space to move in before it snags the fenders. I should also mention that it only snags on the rear fenders and not the front.

What would be my best course of action short of selling the tires and buying a new set? I only need about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch to get it to clear the fender.

Should I roll my fenders to get the clearance I need?

If I were to bend the lower inner lip on the fender up to accomodate the wheel would this compromise the structural integrity of the body?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-jrough

Hey I live in the Yukon, Canada where it's -25C here in the winter. I've got nothin' but time. LOL.

I'm sure there is, but is it worth the trouble? I say no, but ultimately your money, your car, and your time.

The thing I really don't understand is if the wheels are a 40 offset and the Gen 4 should accomodate a 35-42 offset then technically the wheel should fit right? So why doesn't it? Just curious.

So then I should just pretty much ditch the rims and get the same ones in 17's. Now what else should I be looking for besides offset, rim diameter and tire size? Anything special???

PS. Thank you all for all of the help you have been giving me so far. I really appreciate it.

Because the wheel well hasn't the clearance for an 18" wheel. There is more to wheel fitment than offset.

• 1 month later...

thats prolly why, the fender is meant to fit as room room as possible at normal overall diameter. i've seen people with 18" wheels on a crx or something like that and they fit but they have the same overall diameter as stock. get a smaller tire and it might fit better

Yeah that's what i was thinking I may have to do. I have been looking around for a wheel similar to the Axis Spiders in say a 17 inch. Not as easy as one may think though I'll tell you that. It would be so much easier if the spiders came in 17's for sure. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

thats prolly why, the fender is meant to fit as room room as possible at normal overall diameter. i've seen people with 18" wheels on a crx or something like that and they fit but they have the same overall diameter as stock. get a smaller tire and it might fit better

Archived