I need help! car wont start!!

Gil_87

hey all

i have a 95 civic, and it has a cheap ass alarm system ($100 or something) it has power locks control and ignition kill and all that nasty crape.

Ok, in the morning my car will start fine, i go to work and after a few hours start my car and go home. Ok this morning i drove to the store and after 15 minutes got in my car and it wouldnt start. the battery is fine, all the lights and stereo function, i have a portable battery jumper and that didnt help.

I always open the door with the remote and get in and start my car, it starts fine, but since this morning i has been giving me hell!

i have to wait about 2 hours after the car wont start, because i think it might be the security ignition kill fukcing with me, after a couple hours it will start fine, but when i turn it off and try to start again, it doesnt start!

I'm leaning a little towards the fact that my starter is going dead? or there is a short in the electrical system or a blown fuse, or whatnot, because it has to 'wait; till i can start it again.

does anyone know what fuses to check? or if my crapty security system is causeing all this, or if my alternator/starter is going bad?

much eneded help, cuz i hardley know crap about cars, beyond changing the oil and filters and crap.

-Gil

video will be posted tomorrow if problem persists!

take out that starter-kill thing, then try to start it. you have a bad starter if it still doesn't work. if you can pop the clutch and get it started, disconnect the battery while it's running...if it dies instantly, then your alternator is bad.

its prolly either the kill in the alarm or your starter IMO

if it starts sometimes then its not a fuse cause it wouldnt just fix itself

wouldnt be your altenator cause you had a portable jumper thing and that should be enough to at least get it cranked and you said it didnt crank....altenator or no the battery should be enough to start and run for just a little bit with a jumper, plus you said you push started it and said it ran ok so no altenator problem

sounds like a starter to me!

ok today i replaced the starter, and the old one looked realy melted and destroyed. i drove about 40 miles today WITH the new starter and it still has the same problem, wont start after long trips.

could it be that the little solenoid next to the starter that is damaged as well?

it still wont start, and i dont have the money for a mechanic =/

that is why i joined these forums, in hopes that the knowlegeable may help me...

i think it is the solenoid connected to the starter, the power solenoid that is connected to the battery and starter, it may have had a melt down about a week ago when my car blew a cooland hose and it got wet, as well as the engine overheating, could have heat damaged the solenoid unit. i will try that.

the car will start once every 1-2 hours, i found out that it isnt the alarm system cutoff.

HOS904.jpg

ok, got the starter tested, touched a wire from the battery to the starter power terminal, and found out the new starter is GOOD. ok this leads me to the second test. the ignition.

now i talked to a guy who knows about cars, and he told me that i need to test the plug from the starters power terminal and the battery. i ned a power tester thingy.

and that if the ignition failed, then i would have to replace the ignition, or ignition switch.

anyone have any diagrams?

i had the same problem on my truck and it was cuz i had a flat spot on the starter, meaning that one of the contacts in the starter wasn't conducting electricity but since there are several points, depending on the position of the starter, it would sometimes work. basically imagin a wheel with a bunch of condacts on it, some of those contacts go bad, so if you were to test your starter the way you did it will look fine most of the time, but if the starter landed on one of those bad sulanoids, it wont work. get the ENTIRE starter changed, sulanoids and all, that fixed it for me, it wasn't too expensive after the core charge. the only problem i had was the bolts holding it on were tight as fck and i had to take them to a mechanic to get them off, and he charged me $80 for the "labor".

yes, it will start once a day, and only in the morning for some reason...

basically i had a friend help me setup a false NOS switch as the actual starter, but it still requires te key to start up. Basically he taught me how to hotwire hondas ^_^

i will have to replace the whole starter, and it'll cost me $200 for one at AutoZone -_-...

50 degrees in the mornings then arouns 12noon, it jumps to 80+ degrees.

the crap togle swich i'm using keeps burning out or something, and te wires kep melting, even tho i hit the switf or only about 1/2-1 second.

50 degrees in the mornings then arouns 12noon, it jumps to 80+ degrees.

the crap togle swich i'm using keeps burning out or something, and te wires kep melting, even tho i hit the switf or only about 1/2-1 second.

lol those wires run quite a bit of current, get bigger wires. plus most ignition switches are relays anyhow, so that would solve your switch burning problem.

Take the damn toggle switch out, or get a switch designed for ignition. If after that it keeps happening, I'm gonna go with Main FUel Relay. When the temperatures get higher, parts expand and cause them to not function properly.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have a 2000 civic ex coupe auto, i went to hardwire in a radar detector and here is the problem, i have taken power from all three sources on different occasions to try to resolve the problem but it still happens. I hook the radar detector into a power source then when i put the car in any gear other then park or neutral the radar detector turns off. Then when i put it back in P or N it turns back on again. I have taken it from the fuse panel, the cruise contrl swtich, and finally behind the radio. On all three occasions i have tried either or and it does not work, i am driving myself crazy and i need help with this problem so can anyone please help me i would really appreciate it.

Archived