Steering Rack

I need a new steering rack, mine is getting kinda scary. I was wondering, I am going to ditch PS, should I get a manual rack and install it and change the crossmember or should I just get another PS rack and just take off the pump. I would like the steering ratio from the PS one though. What do you guys think and maybe any disadvantages?

well i did this bout a year ago, both of my inner tie rod ends were shot and it was more expensive to replace them than the whole rack, i couludnt get straight answers on if a non power steering rack would work fine so i just put a PS rack back in, hooked all the lines up, filled everything with fluid and had it working, but then i swapped motors and the original PS pump wouldnt fit on the new motor bracket so now its all hooked up just with no belt on

nonworking power steering is like manual steering with a 20lb weight added to the steering wheel (working against ya.

the manual rack has a better steering radius than a ps. rack.

what kinda car u got? I have a manual rack from a 88-91 Civic, CRX, or teggy....

let me know.

well read....but also experience... I had a guy that was at a show w/ a custom ps. rex. i did circles in a 2 lane street (i have a manual rack rex) and he could only do a half circle and had to use reverse.

I feel that the manual steering is a closer turn radius...that's what i feel...now sometimes it varies in different cars and stuff.

Do you know if i get the man rack if i will HAVE to change the crossmember?

you shouldnt have to. all a manual rack is - it's the same as a p.s. rack w/o the hydrolics in it. it should have the same bolt up.

i dont know for sure, but that's what i've been told.

Archived