brake pedal almost to the floor

hi all. I need some help.

my dad and i changed a honda civic's brake pads about 3 weeks ago, and then this past weekend changed the brake shoes.

since then, the brake pedal goes almost to the floor, not quite all the way, but further down than it used to. the brakes work, you just have to push the pedal a lot further.

my dad is ready to just "live with it" like that, but I think it's something that should be dealt with.

would it be the brake fluid line that needs to be drained?

thanks in advance for any help! :thumbsup:

hi all. I need some help.

my dad and i changed a honda civic's brake pads about 3 weeks ago, and then this past weekend changed the brake shoes.

since then, the brake pedal goes almost to the floor, not quite all the way, but further down than it used to. the brakes work, you just have to push the pedal a lot further.

my dad is ready to just "live with it" like that, but I think it's something that should be dealt with.

would it be the brake fluid line that needs to be drained?

thanks in advance for any help! :thumbsup:

yea just bleed your brakes....then everything should be okay.

I'm gonna play dumb here, but did you adjust your shoes after they were reinstalled?

If you just changed your pads, you have no need/reason to rebleed your brakes. Unless you removed the caliper from the line, or a piston, or something along those lines.

yeah better to fix them. don't f*ck around with brakes, that's just safety common sense, don't hesitate to have them checked by a pro. if you have to get them checked take it to a goodyear place, i took my car there and they said that since all they had to do was bleed them it was free.

Werd im having the same problem your having.

Just wanna tell you Becareful

My breaks were working good too but u just had too press it all the way down.

An when was goin bout 40 i seen a dip that i didnt spot. when i got close it too i hit the breaks. they went all the way too the bottom. an the car didnt even stop A LITTLE. it just kept goin like there was no breaks. so of course i fracked up the lip on my car.

just becareful get them checked before u dont have a car anymore. or it can be worst..

My breaks looks like they have alot of air in them or i dont kno whats wrong ima get them checked before i start drivin it thoe.

isn't there a safety thing that if the break goes to a certain point the rear brakes will engage. the line of my front brake got cut and the pedal went all the way to the floor but the rear brakes still worked.

thank you all for your replies.

there has been at least 300 miles put on the car since the shoes were changed, and they're back to normal. don't know if they just need to be "broken in" or what, but they're perfectly normal and work just fine....

I'm not really concerned any longer. :)

you can check for air in the lines by pressing the pedal down once and holding it down,if its spongy or goes down slowly i would bleed the brakes if i were you.if you pump the brakes a few times and the pedal gets firmer/higher then you do need to bleed them. if you dont want to/cant i would pay someone to do it as its your life and your cars sheetmetal you are playing with and brakes generally fail at the worst time...like when you really need to stop!

Archived