Ignition Won't Release Key In Winter

harrisssssss

Starting about 3 or 4 winters ago, my ignition became finicky about releasing my key in cold weather. The colder it is, the longer it takes. This morning, I had to wait about 3 to 4 minutes. I've tried ignition lubricant to no avail. Any simple fixes to try before I outright replace the dern thing?

well with your car being over ten years old i would just buy a new one....maybe it is wear and tear of the ignition. I would just get it replaced just to save from hassle... cus you can fix one problem and them comes along another one. So if i was in your shoes i get a new one...

Is your car an auto?

If it is an automagic.. It could because the cable in the shifter could be out of alignment. ( I don't know the exact name of the cable) Next time.. Make sure your car is all the way in park (push it until you hear the "click") and then try to remove the key. :)

If it is out of alignment take it into Honda and they'll fix it.. :)

I hope this helps..

RiceGirl (that's SO cute!): thanks for taking a stab. It is an auto and I will indeed experiment with the shifter, but I don't hold out much hope as it behaves perfectly in warmer weather. To have the entire key cylinder and matching door/hatch locks changed out I am sure would cost $500 or so with labor. Much to my relief I thought of something else this morning. I am thinking that a locksmith could change out whatever worn out part is causing the problem for under a hundred. Here's hoping...

PS: Although I am sure that you have heard this ad infinitium nauseum, COOL picture show! The bumper logo is especially classy...

well...if it happened in warm weather also i would say that your steering wheel might be locking up. when my steering wheel locks up before i take the key out it won't let me turn the cylinder. also happens when i try to put my key in the ignition and turn it, it won't let it turn. you have to turn the steering wheel away from a lock point (left or right) to get it to turn...

but since it doesn't happen in warm weather, do you locksmith idea. even though i still don't think that that will fix the problem.

RiceGirl (that's SO cute!):  thanks for taking a stab.  It is an auto and I will indeed experiment with the shifter, but I don't hold out much hope as it behaves perfectly in warmer weather. 

PS:  Although I am sure that you have heard this ad infinitium nauseum, COOL picture show!  The bumper logo is especially classy...

Your welcome. Keep us posted on what happens.. Good Luck :)

And

:) Thank You.. :)

Archived