Cleaning Prelude 90 engine bay.

JamesPrelude

Hi All,

Im interested in cleaning the engine bay of my Prelude, but don't know the best way too, or even if it is at all possible?, i have just bought it and am still touching it up. The engine has collected alot of dirt and crap and i just want it too look special.

Also very NooB question, i had taken some photos of the engine bay to show you all but i have no idea how to upload them with this thread? how do i do this.

Thanks In Advance

JamesPrelude

go to www.photobucket.com. upload your photos to the site. copy and paste the links it gives you in your message. use bags and ductape and seal off your entire top end. distributor , intake manifold , valve cover. wouldnt hurt to cover your under hood fuse panel either. everything else should be ok. use degreaser and high pressure spray it off over and over till its gone. use common sense when pressure spraying under your hood with things that it could potentially hurt.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a relevant question to this thread. I've bot my 91 lude. just the same as his. can I remove the valve cover and bead blast it to remove all the black? I'm tired of it looking like a funeral under the hood. I'm just worried that the cover might rust after blasting it?

1) Warm the engine, then shut it off.

2) Cover the distributer, and you can either cover the alternator and fuse box, or use low pressure spray in those area.

3) Wet the engine with high pressure spray.

4) Spray engine and compartment with Simple Green at full strength (dirty engine) otherwise use 50/50 mix.

5) Let sit for about 5 minutes-use a brush on heavily soiled areas.

6) Rinse with high pressure spray-use low pressure around electrical components.

7) Don't forget the underside of the hood.

8) After rinsing, start the engine and let run until the engine is dry. Go ahead and start wiping down the painted areas-but be careful while the engine is running.

9) After the engine is dry, wipe down and towel dry the areas that you couldn't reach when the engine was running.

10) Finish up with Armor All on hoses and plastic parts and your ready to go.

As long as you have no oil leaks, you shouldn't have to clean your engine more than 2 times a year.

From teamdelsol.com

Here's a relevant question to this thread. I've bot my 91 lude. just the same as his. can I remove the valve cover and bead blast it to remove all the black? I'm tired of it looking like a funeral under the hood. I'm just worried that the cover might rust after blasting it?

not even , paint stripper on that black paint it melts off like butter on a frying pan. dont forget it is alluminum , so when repainting it , chromate primer (watery yellow stuff)should be used on alluminum before painting it.

Archived