B-20 head on an ls

tegboy

OK IM THINKIN ABOUT PUTTING A B-20 HEAD ON MY LS. I HAVE HEARD GOOD AND BAD THINGS ABOUT DOING THIS. IT SEEMS SORTA WEIRD SINCE IT IS OUT OF A CRV AND ALL BUT IT DOES HAVE BIGGER VALVES BUT I HEARD EVEN WITH THE BIGGER VALVES THAT THE B-18 WILL FLOW BETTER AND THAT THE B-20 IS A BIT MORE SLUGGISH. I HAVE EHARD OF A FEW PEOPLE DOING THIS AND IVE ALSO HEARD OF PEOPLE PUTTING THE WHOLE FREAKING ENGINE IN OR JUST THE BLOCK...BASCIALLY ANYTHING...BUT ANYWAY...IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS TOPIC PLEASE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE. THANKS A LOT.

I don't know too much about the topic but I have heard that the B20 is a faster engine but it makes the car really heavy... you would need a turbo or something to get it over the lower rpms.  I'm a civic man myself so don't take what I say to be the word

• 5 weeks later...

First off, i drive a GSR and even with 4/2/1 headers, it has no bottom end...but wait till 5500 rpm and it will sing all the way up to its 8000 rpm redline.  If you are more into bottom end i would recomend an ls/vtec aka frankenstein engine.  It would be more reliable than a CRV-vtec as for the b20 was not built to handle vtec.-not that the ls was but from my experience it is a much more solid engine.  With regards to weight, i doubt that the extra .2 liters will weigh the car down that much, and to tell you the truth, the "civic man" probably has no idea what the hell he is talking about...a b20 vtec will give you gobs of torque...more than a front drive car would ever need.  as for his remark about "needing a turbo or something" any bonehead should know that a turbo doesnt spool up until higher rpms anyway so it wont do much to "get you over the lower rpms".  Since you have an ls right now, i would recomend getting a drag turbo kit, for it will let you keep both the low end torque of an LS as well as plenty of top end.  Also your ls has taller gearing than a GSR which would make it a great freeway racer if equiped with turbo.  BTW, on your post you were asking about a "b-20 head on an ls"...i hope you intended to say b20 bottom end cause the head certainly wont do you any good.  If you want to go to a real forum with people who actually know what they are talking about, i would recomend www.honda-acura.net

If you want to go to a real forum with people who actually know what they are talking about, i would recomend www.honda-acura.net

Gee, that's funny.  Hasn't their website been down for about a week now?  Hmm, I bet they are losing tons of members.

First off, i drive a GSR and even with 4/2/1 headers, it has no bottom end...but wait till 5500 rpm and it will sing all the way up to its 8000 rpm redline.  If you are more into bottom end i would recomend an ls/vtec aka frankenstein engine.  It would be more reliable than a CRV-vtec as for the b20 was not built to handle vtec.-not that the ls was but from my experience it is a much more solid engine.  With regards to weight, i doubt that the extra .2 liters will weigh the car down that much, and to tell you the truth, the "civic man" probably has no idea what the hell he is talking about...a b20 vtec will give you gobs of torque...more than a front drive car would ever need.  as for his remark about "needing a turbo or something" any bonehead should know that a turbo doesnt spool up until higher rpms anyway so it wont do much to "get you over the lower rpms".  Since you have an ls right now, i would recomend getting a drag turbo kit, for it will let you keep both the low end torque of an LS as well as plenty of top end.  Also your ls has taller gearing than a GSR which would make it a great freeway racer if equiped with turbo.  BTW, on your post you were asking about a "b-20 head on an ls"...i hope you intended to say b20 bottom end cause the head certainly wont do you any good.  If you want to go to a real forum with people who actually know what they are talking about, i would recomend www.honda-acura.net

You tell them bro: Yeah all your points were dead on. I just got the B20Z swap in my 91 integra. Not to shabbie. But I need the high end. I might get the b16 head, and new pistons. what do ya think.

You tell them bro: Yeah all your points were dead on. I just got the B20Z swap in my 91 integra. Not to shabbie. But I need the high end. I might get the b16 head, and new pistons. what do ya think.

ive heard both ways as far as the b20vtec goes.  The other day i actually went down to WMR to get a b20/vtec put in my gsr --im 16y/o and my dad would have a fit if he saw an intercooler on the front of my car :) but when i got down there the guy talked me out of it.  as far as power goes, you canot beat the crvvtec but if reliability is a major concern, ive heard that the crv engine cannot handle some aspect of vtec and for some reason that causes the engine to blow up...your call but the idea sounded real tempting when i first heard of it.  Currently i have i/e/h/cat and ive pretty much run against a wall as far as cost v performance goes(turbo is not an option).  If you have any ideas please let me know-im considering a stroker kit but im not sure where to get them and how much it will cost.

BTW, i dont mean to flame at anybody...its just that when i hear really dumb comments i get kinda irritated...:)

Hey, no worries...

I was just kidding around anyways.  I actually frequent h-a a lot myself.  But we are trying to build up our own site here.

We are pretty accepting around here and welcome you all.

Look forward to seeing you around.

You mention a "drag turbo Kit" in your message and I was wondering if you could help me by explaining what exactly this is. I am not really a die hard car person and have only begun to regain an interest in cars because a lot of my friends from school are now into it, and that is pretty much all they talk about. Everyday they are discussing terms or codes for different engines, and I am left clueless as to what they are saying. My friends are so into the integras and civics that they can tell the difference between different cars, just by looking at the side moldings or the wheel lugs. These guys are so in love with their Japanese imports that they once drove through a parking lot and tried to guess every single civic and integras model without looking at the emblems, and the scariest thing of all is that they got most of them right. Just the other day two of my friends were having a heated debate as to which model acura my friends shifter comes from, and my other friend was so convinced that the shifter came from an RSX that he bet ten dollars on it. The shifter however actually comes from a TL, and I am still left absolutely clueless as to how they know this. So if you can please help me out by describing what a drag turbo kit is, I will be able to hold a conversation with my friends, at least for a little while.

ive heard both ways as far as the b20vtec goes.  The other day i actually went down to WMR to get a b20/vtec put in my gsr --im 16y/o and my dad would have a fit if he saw an intercooler on the front of my car :) but when i got down there the guy talked me out of it.  as far as power goes, you canot beat the crvvtec but if reliability is a major concern, ive heard that the crv engine cannot handle some aspect of vtec and for some reason that causes the engine to blow up...your call but the idea sounded real tempting when i first heard of it.  Currently i have i/e/h/cat and ive pretty much run against a wall as far as cost v performance goes(turbo is not an option).  If you have any ideas please let me know-im considering a stroker kit but im not sure where to get them and how much it will cost.

Damn man, you're only sixteen years old and you drive a GSR? You must be pretty well off to afford that kind of awesome machine! Nah, just joking. However maybe you should take more time to concentrate on more important things such as school and going to college because odds are, your grades are probably taking a beating with a GSR sitting in the driveway.

Damn man, you're only sixteen years old and you drive a GSR? You must be pretty well off to afford that kind of awesome machine! Nah, just joking. However maybe you should take more time to concentrate on more important things such as school and going to college because odds are, your grades are probably taking a beating with a GSR sitting in the driveway.

hi everyone. I myself a B20 in my civic w/ a gsr head.  it super fast.  I think the b20 w/ the gsr head is great...but i dont no wut the hell ur talking about putting a b20 head on an ls.  thats dumb.  Thats just putting a non v-tec head on bigger motor. a b20 head on and ls motor is pretty much te same thing as a nomal b20.  Wut i think u should do is put a gsr head(that has v-tec) on ur b20(that has more displacement)in ur ls... otherwise just dont touch ur motor cuz ull break it.

hey The underahiever a drag generation turbo kit is a kit thats almost a complete bolt on that includes turbo,interculer,bov,fittings, etc. as far as generations that only means the size of the turbo the bigger the generation is the more boost they can produce they also spoil much sooner. too bad a Drag Generaion III would run you about 3g's

• 3 months later...

A friend and I are doing a swap right now in a 2000 civic ex. We are putting a b18 with a t4 and a 50 shot in this week end. he had a sohc d16y7 but with the swap there are many problems as far as mounting goes.. anyway on to the subject. the guy that we get our engines from has a b20 block with a GSR b18 head. Needless to say that thing moves for a honda. He barks in 4th gear (all motor). So i would go with that.. Just my 2 cents...

Archived