97 Civic EX Coupe, Power Window Problems...

Grizzled

Hi guys, new to the forums but I've been lurking around enough to see a lot of you guys seem to know what you're talking about.

That being said, I've got a question maybe one of you can help me answer:

Since I bought my car (97 Civic EX Coupe) new in '97, it's run like a charm, never caused me a problem I didn't bring on myself and I'm nearing 100k.

Except for one thing...

My power windows. Between the passenger and driver side, the windows have come off their tracks no less than 12-15 times in the past 9 years. I've tried readjusting the tracks, lubricating them, widening the gaps at the tops of the tracks, adjusting the rubber, and even taking the car to the dealership to have them charge me for the same results.

Is this uncommon? I'm guessing it can't be if both the windows keep doing it. Does anyone have an easy solution to this? It's a shame that such a simple thing as the windows don't work on an otherwise troublefree car.

I really don't want to switch to manual windows or anything, and it would be nice to not have to tell everyone who gets in the car to not roll the windows up or down (especially my kids).

Thanks in advance~

TSB says "faulty window regulator, and the glass run channel is not seated correctly in the window run channel."

looks like it was a problem on all 96-00 civic's.

"Out of warranty: any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a desicion, before starting work."

Good Luck man, sounds like you need to get buddy buddy with your local District Service Manager.

TSB says "faulty window regulator, and the glass run channel is not seated correctly in the window run channel."

Ahh thanks. At least that narrows it down.

What is TSB?

And what exactly is the window regulator? Is that the motor or something else?

I'm going to have to break away from work shortly because it's about to rain and my car is outside with the window all the way down.

Ahh thanks. At least that narrows it down.

What is TSB?

And what exactly is the window regulator? Is that the motor or something else?

I'm going to have to break away from work shortly because it's about to rain and my car is outside with the window all the way down.

Sorry, TSB = technical service bulletin, put out by Honda

the window regulator is the mechanical part that makes the window go up and down, the motor moves the regulator, the regulator moves the glass.

good luck

Sorry, TSB = technical service bulletin, put out by Honda

the window regulator is the mechanical part that makes the window go up and down, the motor moves the regulator, the regulator moves the glass.

good luck

Thanks Benji, I really appreciate the input

• 3 weeks later...

ive been having the same exact problem in my 97 ex. anyone know how hard or expensive it is to switch to manual windows? its getting pretty old popping the entire door panel off because the window wants to stop 3 inches from the top. i also saw some aftermarket regulators and was wondering if they might solve my problem. are they hard to install? seems that it might be difficult to get all that stuff on the inside of the door.

Hey Sha0,

These guys helped me out a lot, but I got some added info at this link as well:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl068d.htm

It's got pictures and stuff, also very helpful.

I'll paste their repair procedure below (minus the pictures) in case the link goes away:

Honda Civic Window Pops Out

CORRECTIVE ACTION:

1996 and 1997 models thru the affected VINs:

Replace the window regulator, and reinstall the glass run channel. Replace the glass run channel if it is

damaged.

1997 models after the affected VINs, all 1998-99 models, and 2000 models thru the affected VINs:

Reinstall the glass run channel. Replace the glass run channel if it is damaged.

PARTS INFORMATION:

Left Power Window Regulator:P/N 04725-S00-A01

Left Manual Window Regulator:P/N 72250-S00-003

Left Glass Run Channel:P/N 72275-S03-G01

Right Power Window Regulator:P/N 04720-S00-A01

Right Manual Window Regulator:P/N 72210-S00-003

Right Glass Run Channel:P/N 72235-S03-G01

REQUIRED MATERIALS:

Plastic Cover Adhesive: P/N 08712-0003

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Remove the door panel. Refer to section 20 of the 1996-00 Civic Service Manual.

2. Remove the armrest bracket, then pull down the plastic cover to gain access to the window regulator.

3. Carefully move the glass until you can see the glass mounting bolts, then loosen them. Slide the

guide rearward, remove the glass from the guide, and carefully pull the glass out through the

window slot.

4. Check the year and VIN.

* If the vehicle is a 1996 or 1997 within the affected VIN range, replace the window regulator. Go to

step 5.

* If the vehicle is not a 1996 or 1997 within the affected VIN range, go to step 8.

5. Remove the two roller guide bolts and the two rear regulator mounting bolts; then remove the front

regulator mounting bolts.

6. Disconnect the power window motor connector, and detach the harness clip (it applicable); then lift

and remove the regulator through the opening in the door.

7. Install the new regulator in the door, then loosely install the two rear mounting bolts and the two

roller guide bolts. Do not tighten the two front mounting bolts yet. Go to step 9.

8. Loosen the window regulator's two rear mounting bolts, two front mounting bolts, and two roller

guide bolts.

9. Inspect the glass run channel:

* If the run channel is not sitting in the window channels properly, reinstall it.

* If the run channel is damaged, replace it. Refer to section 20 of the appropriate service manual.

* If the run channel is sitting in the window channels properly, go to step 10.

NOTE: If the run channel is sitting in the window channels properly and the window regulator was not

replaced, disregard this service bulletin and follow normal troubleshooting procedures.

10. Reinstall the glass in the door, but do not tighten the glass mounting bolts. Reconnect the power

window motor connector, and temporarily reconnect the window switch (if applicable). Raise the

window about 100 mm (4.0 in.) from the fully lowered position.

11. Push the glass toward the rear of the door, and have an assistant tighten the two glass mounting

bolts, the four regulator mounting bolts, and the two roller guide bolts.

12. Loosen the front channel mounting bolt and nut. Push the front channel toward the glass, and tighten

the mounting bolt and nut.

13. Check the window for smooth operation, and check for gaps between the glass and the run channel

with the window all the way up.

* If the window does not operate smoothly, or if you see gaps between the run channel and the

window, loosen all the mounting bolts, and repeat steps 10 through 12.

* If the window operates smoothly and you see no gaps between the run channel and the window,

reinstall the plastic cover, the armrest bracket, and the door panel.

Additional Information provided courtesy of ALLDATA

Hope that helps you. I know the parts aren't all that cheap but if it works properly it might well be worth the expense.

Later~

• 2 years later...

looks like it was a problem on all 96-00 civic's.

"Out of warranty: any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a desicion, before starting work."

Good Luck man, sounds like you need to get buddy buddy with your local District Service Manager.

Does anyone know the TSB #, have a copy of this TSB or a link to get a copy of this TSB?

my old 97 ex did the same thing as well.

the driver's side window slid off track multiple times, and then the passenger window just stopped working period.

good luck with the fix man.

and nice car. i love the 96-00 civics :thumbsup:

Archived