idle problem

p_diesel

hey im new to this forum but i hope you guys could help me out! My idle on my prelude is fine when i first start the car but when drivin for a while the idle will go way down near 200 or lower rpm.... it will recover sometimes and go back up but then fall back down..and then other times it will completly shut off. I've takin it to the honda shop a couple of times and they have adjusted the idle...and it would be fine for a while but then suddenly go back to where it was...ive cleaned the the throttle body really good and have ran fuel injection cleaner through it..yet it still stays the same and im tired of trying to fight it sometimes to keep it running at a red light...

if any of you know any way to fix this problem pleeeaaasssseeee post . thanks :D

clean egr valve. while your at it put a new pcv valve in and make sure hose is free and clear. make sure all vacuum lines are in place and sealed.

check that stuff, also make sure your IACV is cleaned, and it could be your distributor, plugs, or wires.

and the mechanic is f*cking stupid for adjusting idle, you do not do that unless you have tried everything else, thats only covering up the problem.

i doubt its idle air control valve mountain ill tell ya why is its idling too low , not too high. your intake manifold valves and hoses i find from my experience make the car idle either up and down or too high. but it could very well be my man. check that stuff too diesel.

well infinite its like this , when theres a certain car out there bud well say a honda civic , lol , and theres this nagging prolem that all them seem to have , what are you supposed to do. you want me to tell them thats not what it is just cause ive told so many people its what causes it?? cmon now use marbles.

well infinite its like this , when theres a certain car out there bud well say a honda civic , lol , and theres this nagging prolem that all them seem to have , what are you supposed to do. you want me to tell them thats not what it is just cause ive told so many people its what causes it?? cmon now use marbles.

yea but your a fixaholic! wat don't you fix! or want to fix!

NOTHING. its like this son , ;) , i make it my business , to know a little about everything , hahaha. its simple , the more you get dirty and work under the hoods of cars , the more you see the same problems in same years and models and makes. like for example , lol , in 91 style chev luminas , the rear rides on 1 one single leafspring like a vette , and they break at the ends. every one of em. another would be neons , anyone that bought a neon from 95 - 00 , lol , has put a head gasket on it before 70,000 kms give or take. i could go on and on. it just so happens that in hondas , lol , when the car idles up and down like that , its that valve , now leave me alone monkey my hands are sore , haha. i put a exedy clutch kit in a 98 civic Si to me , Ex (D16Y8)to you last nite. took me 4 hours flat.

hey im new to this forum but i hope you guys could help me out! My idle on my prelude is fine when i first start the car but when drivin for a while the idle will go way down near 200 or lower rpm.... it will recover sometimes and go back up but then fall back down..and then other times it will completly shut off. I've takin it to the honda shop a couple of times and they have adjusted the idle...and it would be fine for a while but then suddenly go back to where it was...ive cleaned the the throttle body really good and have ran fuel injection cleaner through it..yet it still stays the same and im tired of trying to fight it sometimes to keep it running at a red light...

if any of you know any way to fix this problem pleeeaaasssseeee post . thanks :D

My friend had that exact same problem. It was a blown head gasket, when you blow the gasket you loose all of your compresion in your engine and everything will idle low for a while then it will just shut off.

• 2 weeks later...

i checked my egr valve today... i started the car and unpluged the plugin that went into the egr valve and nothing happened the car just kept on running.. is this good or bad? i also found some cracks in my vacum lines and taped them up... but still my idle is very low and sometimes shuts off when i am trying to stop the car... any more suggestions would be great...thanks

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive a 2 year old thread, but did you ever come up with a solution? I have a 98 Prelude with the exact same symptoms. I replaced the plugs, distributor cap, rotor, & pcv valve. I took it to Honda & they replaced the the EGR valve & fuel pressure regulator. $700 later, the car runs the same.

Any help would be appreciated!

did you replace the headgasket

No, not yet. The problem is intermittent, and seems to be getting better. The car hasn't stalled in the last week, but the idle is sometimes rough.

Next, Honda wanted to rebuild the head for $2000. I wouldn't think a valve problem or blown head gasket would cause an intermittent problem, but I'm running out of ideas. Honda did a leak down test and said one cylinder was pretty bad, so the gasket might be a possibility.

The engine is an Autozone/Recon engine that is about 2 years old with 20,000 miles on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bro, just seeing if ya fixed that idle problem, I found that the problem with my car was the Idle Air Control Valve. Once I replaced that I never had a low idle again. My car used to drive fine and outta no where it would just idle at like 300 rpm and occacionally stall.

Archived