What can I do to make my car not run so rich?

h22a4ever

HI Im new to this forum, but I have a 2001 Prelude(base) 5sp. I dont have a ton done to it but I have a N1 catback, DC headers, Aem cold air, and 8MM wires, plugs, and my dads friend works at a machine shop and honed out my throttle body(just on the ends) and the intake queit a bit. Everytime I race my car alot my ass is always black(pretty bad). I know Im running rich cause I have a lot of air passing through but nothing done to the fuel. I run full synthetic 10W30 because the motor only has about 38K. The car runs great, I have two buddys with fast crap I beat them so the car runs great, One buddy with a 5.0 that runs 14.8s consistantly(beat him 4 times but not by more then a car lenth up to 90-110mph) and another with a 7.3 powerstroke w/ Ks into the motor and ran a 15 flat. So the runs about 14.5s. I dont know if a fuel rail and injectors would help or not.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated

but I pay for all my crap myself and work my ass off and have a 97 CBR600 that needs some lovin too.

rich isnt bad dude , your gettin more power that way. little bit of carbon wont hurt anything. lean is bad rich is ok. run a bottle of intake manifold/combustion chamber cleaner through her ebery once in a while.

running rich isnt horrible, but you said is it pretty bad. every time you run your car, slight bits of gas is mixing with your oil, which can cause some problems down the road unless you do oil changes frequently. letting this happen for too long could ruin your motor, but you seem to take care of it and push fresh oil in a lot. im sur you alreayd know but the black smoke is the carbon from that unburned gas, which can make your motor run a little crapty if it builds up, but you can burn out that carbon easily, which you probably do every time you race, thats why it runs good. i would suggest opening the gap on your plugs a very tiny bit, .010 at the most, especially if you have a stock coil. that wont fix your problem, but it will be a slight improvement. Im thinking bigger injectors would make the problem worse. it sounds to me like your not burning the gas correctly. i dont know how much more i can help, i dont really understand the air/fuel ratio with injection, i would suggest getting more juice to the spark plugs, aftermarket coils are cheap, help on those cold start-ups, and improve throttle response. i had the same problem, but all i had to do was rebuild the carb, but ended up buying a new one.

our cylinder walls are soaked with oil. If you run to rich, the gas will eventually wash all the oil off the cylinder walls, causing your rings to blow or scrape the sidewall..thus losing compression and running crapty.

I know Im running rich cause I have a lot of air passing through but nothing done to the fuel.

this is what you said and what your sayin here all air no fuel would in fact make your car run lean. your car runs fine dude.

well i think he said hes got black smoke coming out of hte exhaust pretty bad. thats an indication of running rich. a lot of air passing through would contribute to it being lean, but that doesnt erase the fact that there is black smoke. take your finger and quickly wipe it on the inside of the tailpipe, if you cant see the skin under the carbon, then your condition is pretty bad and needs taking care of immediately. if you can still see your skin from under the carbon, then your problem is less a problem, and can be fixed by tuning your motor a little. and if your fingertip is only grey from teh carbon, then your normal for a performance vehicle.

Archived