Timing belt help. Please help!!

RazorbackMustang

Hello all,

I'm trying to change the timing belt on my 96 civic EX auto. My question is about the crankshaft damper, it appears to need a proprietary Honda tool to be removed. Is there any way around this? The parts department at the dealership is closed until Monday and I really need to get this doen before then. This would be a relatively simple job except for this freaking pulley! Also, my Chilton's says it needs to be torqued to 181 ft-lbs. That seems a little much, is that correct? Thanks for the help!

Lucas

I would not reccomend doing this unless it is an emergency, but you can do it ghetto style if u must. Take a real thick screw driver and slide it through one of your cam gears. When you start to loosen the crankshaft bolt the cam gears will rotate and the screw driver will get jammed against the head. Just be carefull and try to position the screw driver in a good spot. I have had to do this once in an emergency and it worked successfully. You can also go to your local auto store and rent or buy the tool. Just a suggestion. You should get the honda service manual, the proper specs for torking the bolt are 130 ft. pounds. You were misreading the specs cause 180 is in Newton-meters.

I would not reccomend doing this unless it is an emergency, but you can do it ghetto style if u must. Take a real thick screw driver and slide it through one of your cam gears. When you start to loosen the crankshaft bolt the cam gears will rotate and the screw driver will get jammed against the head. Just be carefull and try to position the screw driver in a good spot. I have had to do this once in an emergency and it worked successfully. You can also go to your local auto store and rent or buy the tool. Just a suggestion. You should get the honda service manual, the proper specs for torking the bolt are 130 ft. pounds. You were misreading the specs cause 180 is in Newton-meters.

Cool, thanks for the info. I had thought about the screwdriver in the cam gear thing, but I didn't want to risk damaging the gear or belt if I couldn't get it off. I also tried to rent the tool but no one had nor had they even heard of it. Do you know of the approximate cost of this tool were I to get it from Honda? I gave up for this weekend and just changed the accessory belts and put it back together.

Chilton's manuals suck, I knew that was way too much torque. Thanks again!

Lucas

If you're not experienced in changing out the belt, let a professional do it. It is important to have a pro do it b/c they have the special computer to do so. It has to be the right degree when putting the belt back on.

If you're not experienced in changing out the belt, let a professional do it. It is important to have a pro do it b/c they have the special computer to do so. It has to be the right degree when putting the belt back on.

It's not that I don't have the necessary experience. It's that I didn't have the necessary tools to complete the job and I didn't want to risk damaging anything. I can't afford to have this car not functioning for any extended amount of time as that would mean I'd have to let the wife drive the Mustang!! And that's just unacceptable! LOL!!

I think I'll go ahead and order that tool. Thanks again guys!

you need no tool dude. put car in gear , step hard on brakes with car in like 4th gear and clutch out. long power bar on half inch drive socket and ratchet. leftie loosey , lol , and your pulley comes right off no puller required. dont lose your keyway and make sure goes back in properly. point your crank dot at TDC and your cam dot straight down i beleve(could be up check a book im too lazy , lol) fire new belt on and away you go. use light to get it right on. dont forget the gayass plastic covers that make the job twice as difficult , lol.

you need no tool dude. put car in gear , step hard on brakes with car in like 4th gear and clutch out. long power bar on half inch drive socket and ratchet. leftie loosey , lol , and your pulley comes right off no puller required. dont lose your keyway and make sure goes back in properly. point your crank dot at TDC and your cam dot straight down i beleve(could be up check a book im too lazy , lol) fire new belt on and away you go. use light to get it right on. dont forget the gayass plastic covers that make the job twice as difficult , lol.

It's an auto, so that won't work, but thanks a lot for the suggestion. I think I'll buy the tool.

chain wrench on the pulley than. buy a chain wrench.

Cranny, why don't you at least lower your car? No one is impressed with your stock ass civic with rims, BFD. Those come a dime a dozen out here in L.A.. Take down the pictures and quit with the bad advice. Silly ho! Oh, by the way if you use the chain wrench be careful not to damge the lip on the crank pulley, I have seen it happen before. (They will crack and chip off) Keep it tight, do it right!

my car is lowered ass , those pics are old and who asked you did i brag about my civic no , mind your own business ,if you got nothin nice to say than STFU. funny hes callin my advice bad than says to use the same tool as i mentioned fukin noob , get a life and get goin somewheres else ass.

actually the honda manual says to do it that way oh smart one. but whatever you run your idiot mouth all you want. anytime VR or do you let people like this run thier idiotic mouths for no reason.

Archived