1999 Integra SE, need help with B18C Type-R swap.

redpgt

Hey,

My friend is computer illiterate so i'm doing this for him. He just bought a 98+ B18C Type-R for his 1999 Integra Special Edition. The motor came with Tranny, B16 axles, and Type-R computer w/harness. We need to know what else should be done, any major wiring? If so, would it be possible to post a wiring diagram/pinout to help us out. Thanks in advance. Also should anything be replaced besides Timing belt and tensioner? Any problem areas with these engines? sorry but i'm new to honda's.

Hey,

My friend is computer illiterate so i'm doing this for him. He just bought a 98+ B18C Type-R for his 1999 Integra Special Edition. The motor came with Tranny, B16 axles, and Type-R computer w/harness. We need to know what else should be done, any major wiring? If so, would it be possible to post a wiring diagram/pinout to help us out. Thanks in advance. Also should anything be replaced besides Timing belt and tensioner? Any problem areas with these engines? sorry but i'm new to honda's.

the engine will drop right in. you can use the stock mounts and axles. you might have a problem using the jdm wire harness because its off a right hand drive, i suggest picking up a gsr or 99-00 si harness. the jdm computer should be plug and play but im not for certain because of the special edition deal but if it doesnt plug in there are conversion harnesses availableharness. i just did the same swap into my type r integra and the only problems i ran into were that the jdm vtec solenoid was different than the us one, i used the u.s. in my swap. you can use a gsr or si solenoid if you run into the same problems. also, the crank sensor, the 98 spec is an obd2a and doesnt come with a crank sensor. if the special edition is an obd2a then it should be okay. if its an obd2b then youll need the conversion harness if you want to run the jdm ecu. itll be the obd2b to obd2a conversion.

i recommend changing the timing belt, drive belts while the engine is still out. sounds confusing, but not really. good luck on the swap, keep us posted.

the engine will drop right in. you can use the stock mounts and axles. you might have a problem using the jdm wire harness because its off a right hand drive, i suggest picking up a gsr or 99-00 si harness. the jdm computer should be plug and play but im not for certain because of the special edition deal but if it doesnt plug in there are conversion harnesses availableharness. i just did the same swap into my type r integra and the only problems i ran into were that the jdm vtec solenoid was different than the us one, i used the u.s. in my swap. you can use a gsr or si solenoid if you run into the same problems. also, the crank sensor, the 98 spec is an obd2a and doesnt come with a crank sensor. if the special edition is an obd2a then it should be okay. if its an obd2b then youll need the conversion harness if you want to run the jdm ecu. itll be the obd2b to obd2a conversion.

i recommend changing the timing belt, drive belts while the engine is still out. sounds confusing, but not really. good luck on the swap, keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply, really useful info, it's not confusing for me at all as i'm a technician. Now, the guy told us we'd need the b16 axles because his integra is a NonVtec (GS or LS) "Special Edition". What's different about the RHD harness and the LHD harness? What i'm really curious about is if we need to run wiring to control Vtec, because his car originally has a B18b. And which wires color/pin numbers @ the PCM control vtec solenoid? Anyone have a write up about this? or some diagrams? thank you.

Thanks for the reply, really useful info, it's not confusing for me at all as i'm a technician. Now, the guy told us we'd need the b16 axles because his integra is a NonVtec (GS or LS) "Special Edition". What's different about the RHD harness and the LHD harness? What i'm really curious about is if we need to run wiring to control Vtec, because his car originally has a B18b. And which wires color/pin numbers @ the PCM control vtec solenoid? Anyone have a write up about this? or some diagrams? thank you.

i couldnt use the jdm harness in my swap because it was backwards the battery wires were on the opposite side. use can still use the harness if you modify it a little. i went from a b18c5 to a 98 spec b18c so it was pretty straight forward. im not sure about running the vtec wire so i dont wanna give you false info. i think if the SE integra has abs youre gonna have to use the stock ones. when i bought my swap it came with the jdm axles and they wouldnt fit into the hub, they were too big so i just used my stock ones. sorry i couldnt be anymore help.

i couldnt use the jdm harness in my swap because it was backwards the battery wires were on the opposite side. use can still use the harness if you modify it a little. i went from a b18c5 to a 98 spec b18c so it was pretty straight forward. im not sure about running the vtec wire so i dont wanna give you false info. i think if the SE integra has abs youre gonna have to use the stock ones. when i bought my swap it came with the jdm axles and they wouldnt fit into the hub, they were too big so i just used my stock ones. sorry i couldnt be anymore help.

Oh, we did not get the engine harness, just the part of it coming out of the PCM. Also the reason I believ we need the B16 axles is because we have a type-r tranny but i may be wrong.

Oh, we did not get the engine harness, just the part of it coming out of the PCM. Also the reason I believ we need the B16 axles is because we have a type-r tranny but i may be wrong.

why didnt they give you the integra axles? but yeah, the axles of a b16 will work.

Archived