99 Accord has Problems

Akil1931

Check this,

I have been asking around but am not sure what it is. My 99 Accord (4 Cyl) could be running smooth but then sometimes, when I begin to slow down and/or come to a complete stop, my car begins to sputter and then it will turn off. I would then have to put it in neutral and turn it on again. As soon as it does that, the check engine light goes on, but then it will stop and the check engine light will go off. Some people have told me that it could be the alternator, but I want more advice.

It also happens if I put the car in neutral or park when I feel the car sputtering. It will turn off. Ima take it to a mechanic this week, but wanted to see if anyone knew what it could possibly be. Thanx.

Akil

unless your battery is dying on you i doubt its the alternator. besides if your alternator was bad your battery/alternator light would come on not your engine light. whenever your engine light comes on your ecu will store a certain code that tells you what the possible problem could be. giving the fact your engine light is comming on leads me to believe its a sensor of some sort. im not 100% sure, since you said your engine light comes on than goes off, if your ecu will hold the codes even though the light goes back off. but like i said if you can get that code its givin you than youl know at least the vicinity of the prolem.

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

So I took my car to the mechanic and he connected the machine and it spit out the code P0171 (System Adaptive Fuel too lean). What I was told that means is that it is either the oxygen sensors or the fuel pressure regulator (I called the Honda dealer and he looked it up for me). What I am gonna go is change both the primary and secondary O2 sensors and if needed later on, change the fuel pressure regulator. Just wanted to let you all know of this in case anyone goes through this problem and/or spits out that code. Thanx all.

Akil

yeah it depends though. if you done only 9 miles in 10 years your still gonna have the say problem as someone that done 100,000 miles in 9 days. (exaduration) but o2 sensor shouldn't be effected to much by the amount of miles, ok yes a little but that depends on alot of facters.

Archived