Possible dead motor? (1988 Civic DX)

draybook

So, here as of late, my car has been cutting off on me while at a low idle. It usually starts right up though. This morning, it cut off while I was driving at about 45 mph. Luckily, I was able to pull to a stop off of the road in a parking lot. This time, it wouldn't turn over.

So, I pulled the battery thinking it might be dead. I took it to O'Reillys and they charged it fully. Took it back and it wouldn't crank. So, my brother in law came up there and checked everything he could think of. He pulled the spark plugs and low and behold, they had oil on them, but only on the bottom. So, he pulled the top of the head off and everything looked good there.

It's getting fuel and spark. We've replaced the ECU, the plug wires and checked the head, distibutor, timing belt and the map sensor. All we have left to do is switch out the intake manifold. Other than that, we are stumped. Anyone else come accross something like this?

dont bother takin IM off. sounds almost like your cars power source or battery is groundin itself out on somin. i had this prolem with a honda once his air intake was touchin the top of his battery post(+pos) and touchin the hood as well when it was shut. he was driving along and car quit and was dead like no power at all. battery grounded itself on the hood through the intake , lol. you might have somin similar goin on but more hidden , break in wire sheathing somewhere. i dont know just a suggestion. if the car is getting fuel and spark than no need to take IM off. its definitely an electrical problem. xalex is beating around the right stone i would say.

• 1 month later...

Not quite sure from your post if you have spark or not. It would appear you have a primary power problem, ie. battery, battery cables, ground connections or perhaps an ignition switch that is acting flaky.

I would invest in a decent Volt/Ohmeter and check both voltage and then battery cable resistance.

Make sure all connections are clean......don't just look but use a wire brush, emery cloth/sandpaper and electrical cleaner, it is not uncommon to have a "high resistance" connection that "looks good" but electrical connection "poor"...

A good service manual with accurate wiring diagrams can really speed the troubleshooting process, a good wiring diagram will show all connectors, fuses, etc. and their locations.

Good luck.

Archived