Could It Be Just Bad Alignment

SpoonMan

Hello,

About a month ago I was driving home at night in the rain. I wasnt exactly going the speed limit, but I wasn't endangering anyone's lives either. I came to a curve to the left in the road, and I hit a puddle in the road and skidded off to the right and hit the curb at a fairly high speed, but it was more of a glancing blow. I pulled into the nearest parking lot I could find to inspect the damage I had done to my front right wheel. When I got out to look at it I could see that I had dented my rim (cheap steel wheel) badly enough to see it in the dark. I was close to my home and there was no one on the roads, so I decided to take it home instead of calling for help. When I got back on the road I noticed that the steering was a whole lot more loose than it was before, my car drifted more, and it felt like it was overall less stable that it was before the accident.

I dont have much experience with the mechanical aspect of cars, so I chalked it up to the rim being bent, so the next day I put my car on a donut and headed out to buy a new wheel. However, the new wheel didn't fix anything (but it needed to be replaced anyway). That got me thinking about what the problem could be and a few friends said it could be a bent axleshaft. But looking around I saw that one simptom for that is shaking at higher speeds, which I do not have.

Here is somewhat of a list of things that is wrong with it.

-Car drifts fairly badly

-Left front wheel wearing badly on outside edge (accident was on the right wheel)

-Steering is pretty loose feeling

-During wide curves to the left I can hear tires screaching

-The drifting depends on which direction I an currently going. (it pulls to the left, but if I go far enough to the right it starts to pull more toward the right)

-Unstable feel to the car.

-Smaller bumps feel more rough on the front end than the back.

-Lastly (and this is the one that has me scared) When I turn hard left, like if I'm pulling into a parking spot, I hear a nasty sounding groaning noise that wasn't there before. When I first heard it I thought I might have hit the car next to the parking spot I was pulling into.

The only reason I haven't gotten it taken care of yet is because I can't afford for it to cost alot to repair. I live around the corner from my work, so if I need to I can walk to work, but I generally feel safe going to work since it's such a short drive.

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for your time.

Archived