Pendulum Swing And 180 Degree Turns

MIntegraD

Is anyone interested in rally racing? Does anyone here know what's the best speed to do a pendulum turn or a 180? I've been experimenting some driving techniques with my car, my integ LS. I love it to death, but it'll probably be the cheapest car I'll own. It's also a used car when I purchased it so I wouldn't mind to much if I did some damage to it. I've been trying out "left foot braking" and also the hand brake when it comes to the turns. I think I'm beginning to get a feel for these things. The first time I did the 180 with the hand brake, I thought I was going to die, but it happened so fast. The last time I did it, I was lucky to not flip over; I did it on a quiet two lane road and I unexpectedly slid into the intersecting roads fully turned the opposite direction. I nearly hit a speed limit sign there too. Sounds embarrasing huh? but it was fun and I am beginning to learn more of how much room I need and how much braking should be applied. bleh

ok...my two cents:

start out on dirt!!! never go out and try something new on asphault until you've gotten a feel for a car spinning and such. your body is used to panic when a car spins and thats something you have to overcome when it comes to doing 180's. i've been doing a hell-of-a lot of rally racing on my property in my 1995 honda civic ex coupe. mostly on grass and dirt. if you live in the country then you should have no problem finding a open field to do some test driving. once you've done that go to asphault.

i've had some experience on ashault and from my experience the handbrake doesnt really help when doing 180's unless the pavement has dirt on it or is wet. you have to get the "pendulum" to get your body weight transferred right...then handbrake that bitch and do your 180...if you have a manual transmission then this could get a little tricky...you have to shift down just before you pull your e-brake so that you have enough torque to pull out of it without stalling.

in any case, be prepared to do some damage to your teggy...cause without a doubt you will damage something. i have already burned up my clutch so i have to replace that, aswell as ruining a hubcap (yes i have hubs...ugh!) and you should expect to ruin a set of tires, maybe bend a wheel or two if you hit a curb. body damage if you do hit a speedlimit sign. and suspension damage in the long run. if you drift in any way at all (whether it be a high speed drift around a turn or a 180 degree turn) your going to put some major stress on your suspension. watch out, and have an open wallet. but most of all, stay safe and don't hurt yourself, or anybody else. don't do it on public roads where people are, don't do it where cops are.

have fun man! hope that helps a little bit, and if you have any more questions ask.

(btw: should this be moved somewhere?)

Thanks much for the advice, but you forgot to tell me what speed I shouldn't go beyond when trying out my tricks. But really thanks alot.

(Also, i guess this thread could be moved. I was trying to find where to start this thread , but I really wasn't sure where. So I went ahead with Integra forum because my car is an Integ)

as for speed...i have gotten my car sideways on dirt going in excess of 50 mph. it was fun...but on asphault i probably wouldn't have felt comfortable with that speed. i'd say go with whatever speed your car is at when your about mid-way through your powerband in second gear. that would probably be a good speed. i'll have to try it out :D

and about the thread being moved. its cool that you put it here with the integ stuff...though it would probably be better suited for the general off-topic section. its not my decision though, i'm not a mod. :sad: oh well...i guess it works in here though. :D

• 1 month later...

Archived