1987 Accord. Electrical Woes.

I have a 1987 Honda Accord LX with just under 192,000 miles on it. The thing is a little tank, I didn't think I was ever going to have any problems with the little beast! Well, about 2 weeks ago I was making a treck across northern Oregon and I got hit with the charging system warning light about 2 hours into my trip. Figuring it was surely the alternator I finished up my trip and then put the car in the garage with the intent to replace the alternator.

If that wasn't ever a chore! Regardless, today I finally got around to pulling the alternator out and made a trip in to NAPA and had them test it. I figured for sure they would tell me that it was toast and I was going to be out $100 and be back on the road in a few hours. To my amazement, they told me the alternator tested absolutely fine!

I'm not the best mechanic around but I'm fairly certain this limits me to a fuse issue or wiring problem. I made a run through of the fuse box under the hood as well as the one under the dash just to make sure everything was OK and it all checked out fine. I'm curious if anybody has any advice on where I should start poking my nose (and hands) next?

Thanks a ton.

Alan

EDIT:

Wow. I came back and re-read my post and noticed I basically left an entire paragraph of information out. I know that there is a legitimate problem because on my way home I had to use the headlights because of the ambient light level (night time). As I was making it home I was very near the point of having to pull off the road and wait until morning (and pray that the car would start) because of how dim my headlights had become.

A charging system warning light? Never heard of anything like that. You might make a trip to Autozone and have them plug it up and see if your ecu is setting off any codes. If they can, then that would point you in the right direction. Sorry I'm not more of a help, but maybe someone else will chime in in awhile.

Archived