2005 Civic Hybrid

This car has my name written all over it. Give me something simple that will excel and this is it! Had my first voyage to the beach almost 100 miles from home. Made it on 2 gallons of gas----My ole Honda 50 motorcycle would've had a tough time beating that one. I had to learn how to drive all over again but after all my stops and gos mixed through my overall yield after 420miles is about 39mpg. The horsepower is lacking and everything around me is bigger but it's been great for almost two weeks. Hope all the Ni-MH penlight batteries hang in there. My experience with them in the past has proven good when it comes to radio transmission. I'm new to this forum so I have to figure out how the pictures and all work.

I know there's a lot of unhappy hybrid owners out there. Perhaps we can share notes and figure how to improve things. One things for sure....to get the miles you have to keep moving...........sounds contradictive doesn't it?

Hello B16VTec:

I'm not surprised at the 39mpg in the EX (non-hybrid). Indeed the hybrids(including my own) get the high 40's with no problem. Remember my first line about the 100 mile trip. It included air-conditioning on the whole trip, and 15minutes of absolute gridlock on the expressway, in addition to a jam-packed vehicle. There's my 47+ miles per gallon no sweat. That's also with the cruise locked at 60mph.

To be fair in all this I took the LOW 39mpg over the entire tank of gas with my limited experience driving for about two weeks. If we're to compare stats--we need a common base. Mine is the fuel warning light. At that point divide everything up and the differences should appear. If the EX maintains 39mpg over 420 miles...........you got yourself a winner!

My miles were accrued through stop and go traffic in two separate cities as well as a gridlock for one hour coming back from one(driving only 2 miles). The last fillup was on Aug 29th for about 14 days of driving.

My next goal is 45mpg on the next warning light.

Yeah, his was over a full trip per tank he got 39. He just got back from a trip to Branson which is about 400 miles and he spent 2 days driving up and down hills with stop and go traffic. He said he got 38 that trip, so 38-39 mpg average is about what he gets.....that's with a load of suitcases too. If I'm not mistaken, the hybrids actually do better mpg with City driving. If you were doing an average of 60 mph that might be why you weren't in the upper 40's the whole tank.

You're right. The stop and go of city driving is where I need the education. The dealer isn't much help since they don't spend their time clocking miles on the new cars just to experiment....for good reason. I looked through the forum before starting a thread and there isn't much to munch on concerning the multiple LED Arrays on the dash. I don't know what the book calls them so maybe I can start a lingo of some sort. Because of the variety of colors involved perhaps we can call the segments millibars that represent MotorAssist, Charging Units, Battery Level, Fuel Remaining etc. In my example I attempt to keep my 'Assist' under five millibars when accellerating. Perhaps other hybrid drivers do better with more??? Maybe I could post a photo of the display so it's easier to communicate????

In any case you've got it made from the information you provided and given the advantage of more horsepower I'd say you're better off keeping what you have until the Lithium Batteries come into their own. I'm used to plugging my car in-in cold weather but getting people used to plugging their cars in ,-in the future, will take some getting used to I'm sure.

ps. I know millibars relate to air pressure but since the LED's are 'flat' in appearance I figure they look more like bars. Maybe somebody could come up with something better???

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know (A) If the electric motor is the only thing running the car on AUTO STOP? (B) If the electric motor adds any more horsepower to the engine....or whether the rated 93 horsepower IS the maximum possible???

I'm presently running about 32.5mpg city and 47 Hwy and still getting used to things. If there's a discrepency it's defitely the city milege. On the other hand if I had a few green lights and not stop signs every dad burned 300ft it may 'true' out more to the sticker.

If anyone owns one of this cars-it would be great to share some knowledge of the instrumentation.

ps. I just had a cassette player installed. I feared the quality but it works quite well. It matches the decor and has some illumination...which can be switched between two color options. It also has the advantage of killing the volume on eject (instead of BLASTING you with the radio volume). The repeat option is kinda nifty also.

Archived