Honda Accord ABS light

marekb

On my Honda Accord the ABS light will not turn off.

I have tried to clean the sensors already, I also checked out the brakes and everything, changed the pads, and the discs in the back and still the light will not turn off :rant:

My brake discs up front are in OK condition, their kinda scratched up (For lack of a better word)

What are some troubleshooting tips that I could try before sending it to the mechanic?

It is a '96 Accord 130,000 miles on it.

On my Honda Accord the ABS light will not turn off.

I have tried to clean the sensors already, I also checked out the brakes and everything, changed the pads, and the discs in the back and still the light will not turn off :rant:

My brake discs up front are in OK condition, their kinda scratched up (For lack of a better word)

What are some troubleshooting tips that I could try before sending it to the mechanic?

It is a '96 Accord 130,000 miles on it.

Get the code run on it to figure out what it is. Either Autozone or a Honda dealership.

your ECU, its kind of under your dash but under the carpet and on the side in front of where the door is..

youll need a haynes manual, autozone wont run codes for you where i live, i had to do it at a friends shop.. youll need to connect something like a paperclip (the ends, so youll have to bend it) to the connectors (this is where the haynes manual comes into play) on the ECU and your check engine light should flash a number of times then it will pause for a second and blink again. the pause is just letting you know that is the end of the count.. after you get your number of flashes/blinks from the light remember that and see if autozone can run that code for you.. i did it on a program on a computer at the shop.. im sure there is something on the internet to check it as well though..

hope this helps a little.. someone can probally explain it better than i can though, i just know how to do it not really explain it

• 4 months later...

Other than cleaning the sensors, the work you performed on the braking system was done to your conventional braking system, not the ABS system. Pads and rotors do not make the light come on and the light does not indicate normal operation. The ABS light is on because the ABS Control Unit is storing Diagnostic Trouble Code. Fortunately, the ABS, SRS, and ECU diagnostic circuits are closed in the same way. Look behind your glove box for a blue connector with two wires going to it. The connector will be inside a holder. To retreive the DTC, remove the connector from the holder and insert a paper clip into both pins. Now turn your key to the until the ABS light comes on; start counting flashes. Long flash equals 10, short flash equals 1; long pause separates distinct codes, short flashes separate numbers. Let us know what you find. A word of advice, redo the paper clip thing a few times before clearing the code so you are sure how many flashes you saw; a really long pause is a short pause plus a long pause which means it is the start of a new code and there are zero tens. To clear the ABS Control Module, you need to pull the Memory Fuse in the Under-hood Fuse/Relay Box. Let us know what you find.

Archived