Turbo Vs Supercharger

o.k. i know that a super charger is belt driven, but i don't know anything about turbos. what is an intercooler,wastgate, turbo timer etc. what is turbo lag,and what does it mean for a turbo to spool up. all the turbo stuff sounds really complicated. which one is best suited for a daily driver/racer . also i've heard that you can't use nos with a supercharger,but you can on the turbo, something about helping it to spool up? is this true? sorry such a long post i'm sure you guys have heard this question a million times.

Turbochargers are driven by exhaust gases. Intercoolers cool the boost generated by the turbo, therefore increasing power. Wastegates/blow-off valves release boost in conjunction with boost controllers when the desired boost levels are reached to prevent overboost and other causes due to higher than desired boost levels. Turbo timers let your turbo cool down after you turn off the engine to cool the oil inside the turbo. The ideal one for a daily driver? One that's boost can be reached at lower RPMs. Nitrous can be suited to any forced induction. With turbo, it minimizes or even takes away all the turbo lag, or the time the turbo takes to reach max boost.

thanks for the reply if i were going to buy a turbo kit,should i install it with out an intercooler or wastegate or a turbo timer ? is it o.k. to use the turbo without these things , just untill i can afford everything ,or is bad for the engine? and also can the stock radiatior handle the higher temp of a turbo/nos application? the car in question here is a 99 civic Si.

You should be able to get away without a turbo timer or an intercooler on your Si, but if you want to turn up the boost, it's definitely something to consider, as well us upgrading your fuel delivery systems and internals. Your stock radiator and fan should be enough to handle the higher temps, but you should add a turbo radiator cap or a higher PSI radiator cap just in case. Your turbo should come with an internal wastegate, so you don't have to worry about buying one.

As for my setup, I don't own a Honda, I just work for Honda. I actually own two Datsuns, a '74 260z and a '78 280z 2+2. The 260z has a 280zx turbo swap and Turbonetics turbo, set at 14 psi boost.

Archived