Integra Auto Tranny Woes

AI90

Car is a 1990 Integra LS with 230K on it. Other than the f*&$#g shoulder belt not working until you slam the door 10 times, everything on this car works well -- except the auto trans.

About a year ago, it started not wanting to go into top gear (which I believe is OD) until the car got warm after about 10 minutes. I consulted a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he suggested fluid change and some Trans-X in case that was the problem. Did this, no difference. Read in one of the Haynes or whatever manuals that each of the shifts in this unit is controlled by a separate solonoid. I just figured maybe the top gear one was getting sticky. So I lived with it. Once warm, the car shifted perfectly.

Now it's beginning to get worse and its hesistating on shifts in third gear. You know, it winds up to 5K and stays there for a minute or more, then clunks into gear. Does this whether it's hot, cold or been shifting fine the last dozen times.

Fluid is fine and clean. I get no error codes on the idiot lights. I do have slight vibration at 70mph and during acceleration which I've traced to play in one of the half-shafts where they go into tranny, but I don't see how that could affect shifting.

Any ideas? The Haynes isn't very clear on this stuff. Is my tranny gasping its last? Solonoids? Relays? Appreciate any advice or help. BTW, tried to find info on this with a forum search but could find nothing specific under "auto trans shifting" "auto tranny shifts", etc. Thanks!

i have a 92 ls and it got 130k on it

but everything shifts fine except on da highway

my trainy also doesnt watnt 2 go into top gear..it just stays at like 4 rpms goin 75..idk wat da prolem is...i already got new trainy fluid..new sparks plugs n wires..but still same problem...

my car also has problems gettin to normal temperature..it stays cold for a long..time......idk wtf its problme is..but once it gets to its normal temperature..da car goes into top gear..

Archived