88 Si auto trouble

elcamero

I need some help with a ride I got for my cousin. 88 Si automatic. The speedo cable is broke, but this shouldn't affect shifting should it? I checked the tv cable, fluid level, but it acts like it starts off in second gear, and on the dash the S3 lite keeps blinking regardless of the gear selected. The Haynes and Chilton manuels say nothing about this. (go figure). Any help would be greatly appreciated before we drop dough on a tranny.

Thanks.

Try draining and replacing the fluid first, make sure you go to your Honda dealer and buy Honda ATF. It's also possible that with the speedo cable disconnected, something else is. How did the speedo cable become disconnected? Was it done intentionally, or at some point it just snapped thereby causing another problem you're potentially unaware of?

I would have to assume that it's just broke. We bought the car for dirt cheap because fuel pump was bad. I'm in the process of changing the fluid and replaceing the cable. None of the import parts places or shops want to share any info on this.

Thamks again.

• 1 month later...

hey i got a 1991 prelude 2.05si and the s3 blinks also and it doesnt go into s4 whats that all about? also my speedo dont work and i feel dumb askin this but where IS the speedo cable? i took apart the cluster and everything and i have no idea where it is. it worked for a little bit than all of a sudden it stopped and hasnt worked since. is it the cable if so where is it and what else could it be? any help would be really apreciated thanks.

After replaceing your speedo cable, the S3 should quit blinking and you will be able to go into S4. If the cable has never been replaced, it is a two piece set up that makes life EASY. If it has been replaced with an after market one piece unit, let the games begin. I'm shure you have cruise, so follow the cable that goes down to the top of the transmission casing, and follow it to the fire wall. At this point if you have a two piece set up,( there should be a large nut inline with the cable, along the back side of the valve cover, about in the middle) undo the casing at this point to inspect which end is broken. You should be able to jack up the car, start it, put in drive and see if the cable section from the trans is spinning. If not, replace that section. (about thirty bucks at Honda) At the tranny there is a clip that holds the cable in the trans. Once clip is removed (don't lose it, or life will suck) just pull up on the caseing to remove. Instal reverse of removal. If the dash section is bad, then removal of the dash cluster is needed, and you wil have to fish the cable through the fire wall. The cable should be snapped or clipped to the back of the speedo. Hope this helps.

hey u think u could get a pic of where the speedo is located so i can get a visual of it. me n my bro were lookin a nd we jus cant find it so he thinks it has a speed sensor but i dunno if u can help that would be gret thanx.

I'm sorry, but I can't. The car is more than 45 min drive from me. Your car does have a speed sensor, but I doubt that is the problem. The cable will come from the firewall, follow along the back side of the valve cover down to the top of the tranny case. It is a very tight space to get to, but you should be able to reachdown along the passenger side of the block, about eight to ten inches down, you should be able to feel it. It realy is best to follow the cable from the fire wall. If your under the hood, the cable will come from the firewall, curve to run along the valve cover, then down to the tranny. All the other cables should be for the cruise control. The speed sensor costs quit abit more money, so try to rule out the speedo cable.

• 3 weeks later...

alright so the speedometer started working again and then it stopped an hour later.lol then it started again now it doesnt work. it wont make up its mind whether it wants to work or not. should i take my car in to see wuts up ? is it the cluster or the cable? i jus dont wanna spend money to have someone else do it if i can do it myself u kno. thanx for the help

Archived