Fixing up an 89 HF

Mercutio

Alrighty, so the time has come to fic up the little CRX I got me. Currently, it smokes, and thats all thats wrong. Runs strong, shifts well, suspension doesn't feel like a 72 Chevelle, so I need to pass a sniffer. Thus far I have replaced the cat to no avail, I didn't REALLY think it owuld help, but it was worth a shot. I believe that either I need a new head gasket, or that maybe I need new rings. Either way, im going ot the pcik 'n pull tomorrow morning, so im gonna try to find some other D15 and pull the head if not the longblock, (yes I know theyre heavy) to just swap some things around. Smoke is white and smelly, comes out of worn-to-crap exhaust piping end, and Im pretty sure goes away after about 15 minutes of driving, aka once it warms up.

Pretty sure it goes away after warm-up. Havent really wanted to drive it around unregistered, (now its PNO). I dont want my neighbors calling the sheriff on me for smoking their ozone up (upper-middle-class neighborhood). Im almost positive its the head gasket:

On the left side of the valve cover (distributor side) where the....."part where the gasket is"......when it rises in the middle, on both sides of that rise there looks to be caulking...which im 90% sure shouldn't be there. Haven;t taken the valve cover (its a new one) off yet to check due to free time issues, but Im not sure what that caulking is. How might I change the coolant? Im going to pick n pull tomorrow to go scavenge for parts like a drivers side door and asktray and misc stuff like that. Im probably going to change to oil too since its black as pitch, and I can probably change the coolant at that time.

i had a smoking prob with my car. it was the rings. it wasnt a honda but when it is white smoke it is the rings and u are getting blow by. dont drive it untell u get new rings cause it will chew up the pistion wall and make it so u have to rebuild or buy a new motor. dont forget the gasket kit and copper head sealant and blue gasket sealent.

Yeah, I've got a feeling its the rings too, saw a CRX some one at the pick n pull and it had that caluking on the linder under the valve cover in the same spot. Guess its supposed to be there, I figured out how to take a camshaft out by myself today, I should get a gold star.:thumbsup::D But anyways, I think I might just have to put a new motor in it, its cheaper than paying a mechanic to put new rings in, see as how hed be lazy and take a break every 15 minutes. Any reocmmendations or anything? Can't really do it myself since I dont have the proper tools and equipment for a motor swap...or changing rings I believe.

in my last car it was really easy to change the rings. first u got to drop the tranny out from under the car to make the motor lighter. then u take the oil pan out. then u get the intake and exaust of from the motor and out from under it. u drop the motor mounts gently with a friend to help hold it. u get it up side down then take the cam out from the bottom and the pistons follow it. u get the rings and put um on but make sure the split in the ring is in diff places. u get a tool from a mechanic shop for like $10 and it holds the rings in place but u got to oil the postons then use the tool to put the pistons back in and do it with the other ones and reassemble the motor. its m=not as hard as it sounds it took me 2 hours to do it all. but i got air tools and stuff like that but for u it should take like 4-7 hours depends on how fast u work with out power tools. a motor swap would cause more because u got to put it in then wire the new harness to the comp and then u have to make it idle right and tune it and fine tune it and that would take like a week. my sugjestions are to try to do the psiton rings ur self but if u dont think u can do it watch the mechanic to "see what he does to the car so if it happens again u would know what to do" just to make sure he dont jip u. have him explain what he is doing every step.

Archived