91 Lude SI...wierd Idle

royson345

Hey I'm new around here so I just thought I'd say what's up before I started throwing questions at you.

OK, I've got a 91 SI that idles wierd when I first start it. The tach jumps from 1000 to 2000 then back down again. It does this for several minutes. After the car has been running for a while it stops and idles perfect. I'm thinking maybe it's a vacuum problem? A bad hose or gasket. Im thinking maybe there's a hole in the gasket when it's cold, then when it warms up in expands and seals it. Let me know what you guys think. Maybe some of you have experienced this problem or have come across someone who has.

Thanks.

could be one of many things.

idle screw on TB needs adjustment

vacuum leak

air in coolant lines

bad IACV

Bad Fast idle valve

best thing to do, is bleed your coolant, or adjust that screw, if neither work, i'd say its yoru IACV pretty common to go out in hondas.

idle air control valve, basically it controls how much air it lets into the engine to keep a good air/fuel ratio. if it is malfuctioning it will not let it idle properly, search on here for the part and it will have a diagram of where it goes on the engine. also it is a good place to buy oem parts for cheap.

Archived