Japanese Odyssey discontinued???

I was noodling around on the Honda Japan site (http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/) and noticed that the 2005 Japanese Odyssey is now a different vehicle than the 2005 North American Odyssey ...with the Japanese version now with a lot lower roofline (1550 mm or 61 inches) than the North American model at 1749 to 1779mm or 68 to 70 inches. Also note they don't sell the LaGreat anymore, which was the larger sized Odyssey.

I read somewhere that this lower model was first introduced in Malaysia as the new Odyssey, leading to speculation that it would also be he new North American model. Not so, seeing as how the new North American model is being built here, and not imported. Anyone else have an observations on this??? Just curious.

The first gen JDM Odyssey was imported to the States as the Odyssey. Then Honda had the great idea of catering to different markets with different cars. So the 2nd gen JDM Odyssey debuted in Japan and a larger more US-market friendly LaGreat was also introduced. The LaGreat was imported to America as the 2nd gen Odyssey. The JDM Odyssey is in it's 3rd gen, which I wouldn't mind owning if I were in the market for an MPV. I believe the Elysion replaced the LaGreat in Japan. Doubt that's coming out here tho...

The only rumors I have heard concerning a possible Elysion or JDM Oddy import here is a possible Acura family hauler. That was when the Oddy debuted and some what revived when the Elysion debuted. But all is quiet since the introduction of the RL, RDX, and a rather odd rumor about a turbo'd Honda (TSX or Civic).

Archived