newbie pre purchase del sol questions

djp73

im looking at a 93 del sol

it is a 1.6 automatic

it has power windows

that makes it an si..correct?

is the 4 speed automatic a problem, reliability etc

is there a decent source for the roof seals, this one is leaking and its like $500 list from the dealer

at 101,000 miles would it be wise to do the timing belt, i can do it myself

this car is at one of my customers dealerships, it has been there for quite some time, at least 8 months

it is currentle stickered at $3,5xx, i was told i could get a "great deal"

it needs the roof seals

the body is sweet

it needs some minor cosmetic work inside

it needs to me cleaned inside due to the roof leak

tires look good

has the alloys

im prepared to offer $2500 maybe more if they put on a fresh sticker

is this a good deal

thanks in advance for the help

-dj-

I have a 93 SI with a 5 speed, so I can't say how the auto will hold up. I have never had a problem with the manual tranny. I bought my Del Sol September of 92 and have owned it since. It has 169,000 miles on it now. The main problems I have had have been cosmetic and electrical. Both door panels have wrinkled. The door handles on both the driver and passenger doors have broken and been replaced. The driver side handle has been replaced twice. I had the roof leak kit put in by the dealer several years ago, but it still leaks, but doesn't rattle as much. The heater control unit liights work when they want, but the aux light on and cruise on indicator lights do not work and haven't in years. I had to replace the igniter/coil at around 100,000 and the distributer (due to a bearing failure) arund 130,000. The factory alternator made it to 158,000 miles!! Fan control knob broke in half the other day. Radiator and radiator fan contol unit have been replaced. If the car you are looking at is over 100,000 and the timing belt hasn't been replaced, do it.. It is much cheaper than an engine. Hard to say if $2500 is a good deal without seeing or driving the car. But I wouldn't trade mine. I plan on going to 300,000 miles! Even at 169,000 it still runs as good as the day I bought it.

i drove the car today and it goes very good

here are the problems it has:

the heat doesnt work

if you slide the cable from hot to cold it comes back...if you do get it to stay on the hot side it doesnt get hot, im guessing a seized cable

the roof and the trunk both leak

it sounds like it needs a rear wheel bearing but it could just be the way the car sounds, i know my prelude sounded funny to me

the radio has been replaced with a VW factory radio and it does not work, this doesnt matter to me but it was a good bargaining tool

they were asking $3,500, i managed to talk him down to $2,500 with a new sticker and they are going to look at the heat issue

again its a 93 Si with a 4 speed auto and 101,000 miles on it

i put about 15 miles on it today ranging from highway to dirt backroads, it went very well

random question

next to the hot cold controll lever there is a oval plastic cap, under that cap(you have to pop it off) there is a button, what does it do?

does it have air conditioning? The del sols didn't come from the factory with a/c, it was a dealer installed option. if it isn't installed there would be a dummy button to the right of the temperature lever. $2500 for a 93 with only 101,000 sounds good.

does it have air conditioning? The del sols didn't come from the factory with a/c, it was a dealer installed option. if it isn't installed there would be a dummy button to the right of the temperature lever. $2500 for a 93 with only 101,000 sounds good.

it did on VTECs.

I have a 97 s with a manual, so I don't know about the auto, should be fine. I have power windows, so does it say si, or what? AC on mine, I love my car other than the lack of speed, I'd say go for it, 2500 is not much.

nope no a/c...i did figure out thats what the button is for...

im going to the bank in about 15 minutes, hopefully ill be bringning it home today

be prepared for lots of questions

thanks again for the input

-dj-

yeah got it for $2500 and they fixed the heat and put a new sticker on it

im happy

gonna be a few weeks before i start driving it probably

i want to fix the leaks for starters and i think ill do a timing belt too

what should be done along with the timing belt?

i assume the other belts and the water pump?

im gonna do an oil change and replace the fluid in the transmission too

any good sources for used interior pieces??

thanks again

i work at a parts store and we sell a timing belt kit, has the belt and the pullys/tensioners...ill get that and a water pump

then its on to the trunk leak fix and the roof leak fix

then the stereo install

then maybe trying to find the few peices of interior that are less than perfect, again any good sources besides the dealer?

Archived