1991 Civic Hatchback W/zc Engine

91_ZC_Honda

Hello all,

I recently bought a 1991 civic hatchback with a ZC engine. After surfing the net for a while I still haven't found what kind of ZC engine it is. It has 2 cam gears, and is a 4 cyl. Also I was wondering what kind of all around upgrades I can or should do to the car as a whole. Here's the list of things that have already been done to it:

ZC engine (5 speed)

DC Sports 4-2-1 header

Air Intake

Performance muffler w/ tip (not sure what kind)

Front Strut Bar

Short Shifter

Adjustable Coilovers

Lowered w/ Low pro tires and 3 spoke Ultima chrome wheels

I recently ordered a rear upper strut bar, shift knob, and Type-R floor mats. I'm really not sure if I should go the cosmetic route or the performance route. I do want to get a catback exhaust system, tach, gauge pod with gauges, rear lower strut bar, performance cam gears, etc. But I'm new to the world of Honda upgrades. I've been in sport trucks for a few years, and its gotten old very fast. It seems there's a lot more you can do with a Honda so I went out and bought one. Any info would be great on the subject. Will be posting more as I get in the swing of Honda upgrade questions. Just wanted to post here to see what people thought I should do. Thanks in advance.

The Navy Guy w/o any Honda experience

if you go for performance, get rid of those heavy chrome rims. rotational weight is the worst. if your muffler has a tip, make sure it isnt one of those resonating tips made for noise, they are more restrictive then a regular muffler.

for less then $500 you can get a nitrous kit. that is probably the best power adder you can get for less the the cost of a turbocharger or supercharger.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting rid of the rims that were on the car, but I never thought about the rotational weight of them in that perspective. Should I be in the market for racing rims, or just light weight ones? As for a Nitro kit would I have to add/remove anything to install it? Also as a Navy guy with plenty of hands-on experience with tools (I work on EA-6B Prowlers) how indepth is the installation process? Thanks again for the info. I can use all the info I can get.

Oak Harbor Squid

ok take a look at my sig and look at my parts. my car right now as it is runs low 13's havent broke em yet but runs that and all it is is because i have dont work on the internals and im getting turbo in a few years so ill break 13's. but i mean 15 " rims that weigh 12 lbs a piece the only thing that weighs the most that is an addon is my body kit then my sub box. thats it. i try to go light as possible becuase your car will fly.

a nitrous kit is easy to install. a dry kit is a little easier then a wet kit, i think that's why they are more popular. go to a performance shop and they will set you up with everything you need. the directions are easy to follow. if it has the stock fuel pump and injectors, i dont think you should go any higher then a 50 shot. but even a 50 shot will make a huge difference. NOS, ZEX, and Venom make great dry nitrous kits.

Just an update as to what I've recently ordered for my Honda.

DC Sports Catback exhaust system

Rear Upper Strut Bar (installed)

Ichibahn Tour Series Steering Wheel (Black and Red)

Ichibahn Pedals

RActive Shift Boot

RActive Shift Knob

I'm hoping the Catback system will help out with alittle HP. Not sure what I'm going to do next performance wise. The next thing I definitely want to do 'Look' and 'Performance' wise is get rid of the chrome wheels I have on the car. Was leaning towards maybe some Axis Maglite rims. Any suggestions on wheels would be a help. Looking for some light weight rims as the chrome ones that were on the car when I bought it are definitely too heavy.

Oak Harbor Squid

• 2 weeks later...

Archived