92 Accord Trunk Vent-water leak

Ike

I have a question for everybody:

What's the purpose of the trunk vent flap on the driver's side quarter panel in my 92 Accord EX Coupe? I am getting a water leak around the gasket (after rain) without even driving the car. From the looks of the vent's flap seal design I don't see how it kept water out with a good perimiter gasket......kinda wondering why Honda put this vent in the trunk...

What will happen if I remove the vent assembly and replace with a piece of 1/8" aluminum ?......doors or trunk lid hard to shut?

Has anybody ever run into this before?

Any ideas, experiences, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Ike

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I got a leak in my trunk too. 92' Accord Lx. Are you sure that it's coming from that vent because my leak is from the top of the trunk on the passgener side. I have never had any water come in from that vent. Anyways, I found out that the leak was coming from the run channel running right underneath the rear winshield. I just used silicone to coat the run channel at the leaky spots. There are some screw holes that weren't very well covered by the run channel causing a leak when driving or parked in rain. Haven't leaked since. I don't know if this might be the same problem, just thought it might help. Good luck.

Leak solved !

I removed both taillights and vent, cleaned everything and put a coat of RTV on the mounting/sealing surfaces.

Another leak was some idiot removed the OEM power antenna and installed an autozone cheapie that is not designed to seal. Went to local honda dealer and got a standard antenna assy for $28.

Doing timing/balancer belts/tensioners next and rear motor mount......the vaccum controlled mount is $200 from majestic honda so I figured at less than half price I'd try the Autozone "Anchor 8984" with lifetime warranty.

I try to stay OEM as much as possible on a car I plan to keep, especially hard to remove or critical parts. I'll buy an Advance or Autozone starter or alternator-thats about it. Some of the parts supermarkets are a grab bag when it comes to quality.

Really like my first Accord !

Ike

Archived