Shift Locked / X-mission stays in low gear

duraskeeter

I have a 90' Accord with a 4 speed Automatic Transmission, and just recently I started the car put it in drive and a little puff of smoke came from the front dash area. I couldn't tell where it came from because it got blown around from the AC. I put the car back in park and that’s when shifter locked into the park position. I tried the shift lock release with the key and my foot on the brake but that did not release it from park. I took apart the shifter casing and discovered that I could manually release the shifter from park by holding down the brake and the shift lock release bar located on the right hand side of the gear shifter. Now the car is out of park, I can take off in Low, 2nd or 3rd gear but not D (4th). I can drive the car by manually shifting from low up to 3rd gear or by taking off directly in 3rd gear, but even after I get up to speed the car will not go into 4th gear. It doesn't appear to be a transmission problem, but I am not sure if it is a controller box in front of the firewall, a brake switch or something around the shifter itself.

Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

first check the brake swich. if the brake light come on then its not it. theck the tcu it selt. its on the pasanger side. open it up and see if u see any burned stuff. u won't miss it.

it might be the shifter cable under the car too. go under it and check it u can register it.

Archived