help - carburated '86 crx runs like crap

HackerX

I have an '86 CRX with the carburated 1.5L. I recently purchased it from my uncle who replaced the intake valves in cylinder #1 and the exhaust valve in cylinder #2 after the timing belt snapped. He also removed or disabled all of the epa systems and the entire vacuum control system with the exception of the throttle stop solenoid, vacuum advance for the distrubutor and the secondary barrel control solenoid. The car drove fine when I test drove it (over 30 miles) but then on the way home the car really started acting up. It would varily go even when I floored it and sounded like it had a blown head gasket. It drove like this the entire day but then ran fine after I let it cool down and ran it again. Actually what I mean by it ran fine is that it would run great between idle and 4,500 rpm in 1st through 3rd gear (its a 5-speed manual) but would run like crap once in fourth. Finally I checked the spark plugs... The plugs in cylinders #1 and #2 where in mint condition but the plug in cylinder #3 was fused and #4 cylinder melted the platinum electrode 2/3 of the way up the plug!! After replacing these plugs I took it for a run and it ran like a champ up to 4th and you could tell it was missing again. Since then I've burned up four more plugs in the #3 and #4 cylinders and the plugs in cylinders #1 and #2 are still mint. The car has also started overheating without cause. I've checked the thermostat and pump and have used head sealer in the coolant and checked coolant flow. After removing the thermostat the engine doesn't overheat but still runs hot.

OBTW - I've been running the car without the air cleaner thanx to my uncle.

Please help...

Found out why my plugs were burning up. Advance Auto Parts gave me the wrong plugs. The plugs they gave me were the "hot plugs" designed for the two barrel si CRXs. This coupled with the lean fuel mixture and overheating engine caused the plugs to burn up. My car is still overheating and now it won't idle but runs fairly good once in gear. The car also ran much better when I excessively retarded the ignition timing.

Archived