92 Accord with high miles

Ike

Just found this site !

I am looking at a neighbor's 1992 Honda Accord that they are considering selling for a "spare" car. It is a higher trim level 2 door 2.2L with 180,000 miles but is very tight and clean. The only thing that is reason for concern is the automatic transmision sometimes is a little rough shifting....their words not mine. I plan on looking at the car today..

I am not that familiar with Honda automobiles but am a technician/mechanic in the power production and marine propulsion field.....diesel generators, wiring and switchgear, diesel locomotives, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, etc..and it is not my first week on the job :D I have rebuilt a few electronically controlled automatic transmissions...have book can do !

Is there anything special or specific on these cars to look hard at when thinking about buying? Honestly it is clean as a pin and Honda's reliability is legendary in my opinion. Should I be afraid of the high mileage? I don't have any high performance plans, just occasional utility transportation...

ANY help or info would be greatly appreciated

Ike

Well, things you may want to look for include:

1. Oil leaks. my 1993 accord has an oil leak on the top of my engine at my valve cover gasket...not a complicated repair, and relatively cheap if you can do it yourself.

2. Transmission wear and tear. I'm not so sure about Honda ATs, considering my accord is a manual, but it's something to be concerned about.

3. Serpentine belts. yet again, easy repair and fairly cheap, but don't forget to check them out.

4. Power steering pump. My power steering pump has been going bad for a while, but my car drives just fine anyway...it just squeals when I turn sometimes.

That's about all I can think about, but I wouldn't be concerned about high milage at all, especially since you're not doing anything high performance. Just don't neglect it. My 93 has 220k on it now, and as long as I take care of it, it'll run forever.

• 2 weeks later...

wonna sell it ????

email me if you do ........

on the 91-93 accords with at ..actually on any honda ...people who do not know honda ,say they shift hard ....

honda trait .change the at fluid to be sure ....but it should be fine ...

hard shifting is normal ....high rpms and a late shift is something to worry about

peace

2fast

Archived