Need help with 85 Accord fuel pump.

dba-one

Greetings,

Hopefully I'm correct on what I think is wrong with the car! Saturday I drove it to the store and out of nowhere it starts really hestitaing. I got to the store and shut the car off. I then tried ot restart it. It wouldn't start. There was a lound ticking coming from underneath by the driverside passenger door.

Sounds like a fuel pump to me! I found it's location and dropped it down. Looking to find some sort of reset switch. I didn't find anything like that. The reason I was looking for this is that in my experience with Fords resetting the FP is needed every now and then. They tick like this too when it happens. I've tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting but it made no difference. The fuse is good to.

Is there a reset swith for this? If not, does it just sound like the FP crapped out? The car has 134k miles on it if it matters. Also, if it is bad, to change it out is the only thing I need to do to release the pressure is remove the gas cap, disconnect the batter, remove the pump and replace it with a new one?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well if you are going to drop your fuel pump... you have to de pressurize the fuel lines! on my 94 the propper way to do this is to disconnect the banjo bolt from the fuel rail and use a shop rag to catch the escaping fuel. Also. remember when working on the fuel system, no matter how small a job... disconnect the battery so as to prevent any sparks and possible ignition of fuel. :D good luck.

Archived