pgm light on the dash

serpent357

I try to explain this to you youngans but you never understand, oh well here goes.

There is a system electrical malfunction within you car. This is the way you go about finding the exact malfunction in your car.

It is necessary to inspect the electronic control unit LED display. The LED display is on the ECM (ECU), which is located just below the Right hand side of the instrument panel. The indicator lamps operate whenever the ignition is On and is stored in the ECM (ECU) memory.

Once you locate the ECM (ECU), you read the number of flashes indicated on the electronic control unit. The number of flashes is equal to a "malfunction code".

If you can get the malfunction code I could tell you whats wrong with your car. I know this sounds confusing, but it's the best way I could describe it. If you had a newer car it would be alot easier to obtain "malfunction codes". I use to do it all the time on my old 99' Accord.

I'm guessing you will not understand a word I just said and you would be better off taking your car to a Honda certified mechanic.

Umm,let me rephrase my question.I know what the light is for and have already fixed it,I was wondering what the letters pgm were for,penguins gone manic??Parts gone missing??Please get mom????:)Hey thanks for the reply to my question by the way. Serpent

Umm,let me rephrase my question.I know what the light is for and have already fixed it,I was wondering what the letters pgm were for,penguins gone manic??Parts gone missing??Please get mom????:)Hey thanks for the reply to my question by the way.      Serpent

I don't know that's a good question.

I know when Honda came out with PGM-FI, that it was an advanced programmed high pressure fuel injection system.

What the PGM stands for by itself is beyond me? If I were to take a guess I would say it's like a "program". Something similar to an Intel chip, that programs diagnostic settings within the car.

Then again that's just a guess.

but can "pgm" be the ECU though renamed by Honda? I'll try to sort it out:

I would think not. The PGM and the ECU are two independant units. When an error/fault occurs within the vehicle the PGM unit could also send an error code to the ECU.

It's simple to get PGM/ECU confused though.

Archived