Build Box for 2 JL 12's

I need help with this and some suggestions. We want to make an all plexi glass box so that you can see through it.

What goes into it and how hard is it to do?

i know how i can make a box but what special do i have to put into it. thanks for the help.

the most important part is calculating the volume of the enclosure to match the subwoofer. make sure you get thick enough plexi (enclosure flex kills bass). and make sure you have the right saw blades for cutting plexiglass. otherwise it will melt and make a big stinky mess. a good site for info and tools for installation is www.select-products.com

• 5 months later...

an all plexi box that is gonna ba bitch your gonna need some really thick stuff build it according to the size it says in the little paper that comes in the box the speaker came in if you cant get the volume from there go to crutchfield .com and looka t their boxes for sizes and volume and every thing . ive built lots of boxes for myself and others but ive never used plexi because its to flexible . the idea is cool but why do you wanna see in the box all your gonna see is wires and stuffing . and screws stickin through ultimately leaving you wiht something that doesnt look as apealing as you would think . go with a nice mdf box and cover that crap in fiberglass itll look a hell of alot better and probably sound better

peace

i also forgot to mention that you have to put the pieces together some how you cant screw into plexi like you can with mdf . then you have to seal the whole thing and youll see all of that too . just stuff to consider .

actually plexiglass is much stronger than mdf and yes you can't screw into it

most all plexi boxes are made of 1" plexi and special plexi apoxy that bonds the two peaces together, and trust me, that apoxy is better than ever screwing a box. Plexiglass is not as porus as mdf so virtually no air leaves the box as long as all edges are smooth, and use machine screws with t nuts to install the woofer.

one last thing, us a plywood blade if you can't get your hands on the 80 dollar plexiglass blade for your table saw, or just give the exact dimensions to a glass shop in your town and they can cut out the 1" plexi for you.

one other thing, when drilling holes into plexi you must go extremly slow. Also you have to cut the tip of the drill bit off so that the bit scrapes not digs into the plexi. good luck with this is you feel your up to the task, i just recomend that you have built at least a dozen mdf boxes or so before taking on this project.

One last comment, you can screw into plexi but you must predrill the hole with the bit as i described and the pre drilled hole must be 1/8 of an inch shorter than the screws you are using, pain in the ass, just glue it, plenty strong. IF you doubt how strong glued plexi is this may change your mind, we put 2 DD9515 woofers into a 15 cubic foot ported plexi box and the box never flexed and never vibrated, plexi rules!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived