Retractable Headlight Broken

Aegon

Hello Honda owners. I know a girl who is having problems with her old Accord. It has retractable headlights like the ones shown in the pic below:

car.jpg

The headlight doesn't open anymore which prevents her from driving at night. Ideally, I would like to have the problem diagnosed quickly and easily, and already have a list of solutions prepared.

I'm not a car mechanic, but I am an engineer and like to come off as being mechanically capable :laugh: . My instinct is to check fuses, check that the motor is getting power, check that the motor works, and then make sure that when the motor works the light moves the right parts to open up. I think that I am close to having a winning game plan but I am missing a bit of research, which is why I came directly to the experts, you 8).

Is this a common issue? Does every Honda tuner know to check the <flux capacitor OR gizmo-link> when this happens?

Is this repair often costly? Are the parts readily available at junkyards? Most Accords don't have retracting headlights from what I've seen.

Does anyone have a diagram for the headlight assembly? This would be a big help for fixing the problem quickly.

Thanks in advance.

ok, I don't know where to find diagrams or anything, but I do know that under the hood, near each motor for the light, there is a small grey/black thing (i'm not sure what to call it, nor can I really describe it well) with an arrow on the top of it. That is the manual way to open the head light. By using that thing (once again I apologize for not knowing enough about how to operate it) the headlight will open and stay open. I wish I could tell you what to do with that thing to make it work right, but hopefully you can figure it out. I've never had to actually use that, but I know what it is. One of my ex-g/f's had an accord like that and I figured out what it was, but never took the time to see how it worked.

But before you try that, make sure that there isn't anything damaged on the body of the car that could obstruct the light.

Archived