2006 Honda CRV

• 6 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 6:18 PM, JLC said:

Why would lights on my 2006 CR-V... VSA light, Engine light and light w/exclamation point...start coming on when I start to accelerate?  When these come on, it cuts my power.

Three lights on at once makes me suspect an engine electrical problem, and not a problem with one system or three systems independently. Especially given it happens only during acceleration.

I would check the charging system to ensure the battery is in good health. I would check the alternator to ensure it is charging the battery. A weak battery due to a weak alternator fits the modus operandi of a problem seen during acceleration due to load. (Once you get down to 12.3 or 11.8 volts crazy things start happening. The car will start but it will run like a turd due to an undervoltage).

Next, clear engine codes in case low system voltage was the problem. Test drive the car again, and see if you can reproduce it.

If the problem persists, then check engine codes and start troubleshooting a circuit.

You might find the National Automotive Service Task Force (NASTF) helpful. The site provides links to auto manufacturer's website where you can buy 1-day or 3-day access to factory service manuals, wiring diagrams, service bulletins, parts catalogs, etc. Once you have a pass, you may even be able to reprogram a car or truck's computers. Finally, the site provides links to manufacturer-specific scan tools, if you are interested in purchasing one.

Archived