Squeal sound when engine is cold and heater is on

jaggudada

I have had mechanic replace three belts in my civic, they are all Honda belts. Right after this, I have heard belt squeal sound, so I took it back to shop and the mechanic tightened the Alternator/AC belt. He says there is no more room to go, it still squeaks especially when the car is not driven for 8-10 hrs and the heater blower is ON. AC is off the whole time due to cold temperatures.

In first few minutes of starting the engine, the heat on and off makes the sound come and go. After it is driven for a while( 10-15 mins) then I can not replicate it by turning heat on/off.

Also when the ambient is warm, then there is no squealing. So in nutshell, two things causing this squeal - Engine is not completely warmed up and heater blower is ON. Can you guys throw some light on what might be causing this issue?

My mechanic says the belts are already tight, he has tightened it twice since the belt had been installed.

I don't know if there is a way to measure the tension instead of going by the feel. It does seem like under cold conditions when there is a more load(heater fan is turned on) the belt squeaks for 10 secs and then stops.

should be less than 1/2 inch deflection on each belt. there are 3 belts. alternator, ac, and power steering belts. seems like it would be the alternator belt in the rear of the engine. i use a prybar and hold tension on the belt then tighten the tensioner bolt.

the belt could also be damaged or worn out due to age. check for cracks and wear. or just replace the belt. it's very simple.

Now I have a lot more clarity on this than when I began. It seems, when I first turn on the AC after the car has been not running (cold), I hear the squeal for 5 secs and then it goes away. You can replicate this if you turn and off the AC for first 2 or 3 times, after that you can't produce this noise. Also when the car is warmed up, then turning on AC doesn't produce this sound. Does this seem like a AC clutch problem?

Archived