2001 Honda civic dx automatic shifting problems.

Mariat73

Last year I needed a new transmission so I had a used one put in. It had 55k miles on it. The other day I was driving home and my car didn't want to shift at all. My car will start, and I can put it into gear, but it won't go anywhere. I have checked all the fluids and everything is good. Also, my check engine light or anything isn't on, if that makes a difference. My husband checked the linkage and tightened it, it didn't do anything. I have no idea what it wrong with it and can't afford to take it to a mechanic right now. Can anyone help me with some ideas of what it could be?

Check for fluid leaks. If your Civic is leaking a deep red fluid, this is transmission fluid. It may be a main seal leaking or it could be leaking from the transmission housing. The only way to know what seal has failed is to get underneath the vehicle and check for the source of the leak. Check to see if the transmission fluid is brown or has a burned smell. This indicates the fluid has burned. Check to see if the transmission slips, shifts roughly or is noisy or has no drive in forward or reverse gears. This usually indicates that fluid levels are too low. However, it could indicate gear failure in the transmission. Checking and maintaining proper transmission fluid levels is the first step in solving this problem.

Archived