96 accord. rpm fluctuates between 1200 and 400.

Screggie88

There's tons of stuff online about this issue which is commonly referred to as a "hunting idle".

If I remember, its something like:

1. Bleed all air from your cooling system

2. Look for vacuum leaks

I can't remember the rest. Look around, I just saw an ETCG video on this the other day.

An air control valve goes bad due to either carbon buildup or getting stuck, there are a few obvious symptoms. A bad idle air control valve will prevent adequate air flow to the engine and will result in increasingly lower RPMs when idling. The number of RPMs, while idling, will vary a bit based on the individual vehicle but is generally considered low when below 800 RPM. The RPMs will increase to normal levels when the accelerator is pressed. As the air control valve becomes increasingly clogged, the engine RPMs, while idling, will continue to drop until the vehicle stalls. This problem can usually be identified by applying the gas. When the vehicle is about to stall, pressing the accelerator will cause the RPMs to increase and will keep the car running. If the pedal is released, the RPMs will quickly drop, and the vehicle will stall.

This dude. Forever makin some shameless plug for this website. I have nothing against linking a site, but what I take issue with is how you withhold info that would deter would be shoppers...info like:

IF YOUR AIR IDLE CONTROL VALVE IS FOULED WITH CARBON, YOU CAN CLEAN IT FOR FREE RATHER THAN REPLACING IT.

So, stop being such a predator Jeffy.

Archived