Dealer tried to charge me for Engine Control Module

Hi , new here to the forum . Just wanted to advise everyone on what happened to me last week . We have a certified used 2007 Accord . My wife was driving on a residential street and the car completely shut off while driving , less than 2 sec later it came back on . I took it to dealer and they said it was Engine Control Module (ECM) basically the brain of car . I said ok fix it . They said it wasn't covered under our warranty . It was gonna be 750 for parts alone plus 400-500 for labor . I left the car there and called the Honda 800 number to find out exactly what my warranty covered . The operator said under our certified warranty it wasn't covered , but under a national warranty Honda has , called the Federal Emissions Warranty 8 yr 80k miles (ours has 48k) it was covered , and the dealer should know that . I called the dealer with that info and he said he never heard of it . Next day he called me to thank me for informing him of that warranty and I got the car back shortly after , no charge . I know how I felt (devastated) ready to shell out 1300$ to fix it and I'm hoping this info could help anyone in same situation . Also I'm wondering how many other people at our dealer has paid for this when they shouldn't have ? Hope this helps ! RaiderDave in Santa Maria Ca

Archived