Timing belt + water pump changed, car will not start

forevermemorable

My water pump started grinding, so I thought it be a good time to replace it, along with the water pump on a 1995 Honda Civic DX 1.5L. (non v-tec).

Now that I got EVERYTHING back where it goes, with new parts, the car will not start! The battery is fine...no problem there. I even tried hooking up jumper cables to give it an extra boost, but to no avail. All the belts are rotating the way they should be when the car is trying to turn on, so no problem there. I took out a spark plug and tested for spark and I HAVE spark, so no problem with the distributor.

The car was running before I did the repairs, but after the repairs, it does not turn over. The belt was put back exactly the way the diagram says to, plus I double checked the part number and it is the correct timing belt...no problem there. I checked all my fuses...no problem there either.

What's left? I am at my wits end here.

When I changed the timing belt, I made sure the cam shaft and the crankshaft was on TDC. When I put the crankshaft pulley back on, it was put perfectly in its grooved slot. The crankshaft pulley for my 1995 Honda Civic CANNOT under any circumstances be put on incorrectly! It is form fitting with a little notch that slides into place, when replacing. So, before I took the timing belt off, I had set the cam and crank at TDC. When I installed the new timing belt and put back the crank, it was still at TDC.

That block of metal in the notch is called a Woodruff Key.

Sounds like you forgot to reconnect something related to fuel since you have spark and were able to burn off the last bit of pressure in the fuel line.

Make sure you have fuel pressure, any pressure.

Recheck the timing. Even a little slack can misalign timing in the crank and cam: use the crank pulley timing mark and remove the top tb cover.

• 5 months later...

Okay, I drained my battery trying to get my car starter. I installed a new battery! There is fuel, spark, but the car is not turning over. Lets just say that the cam shaft or crank shaft shifted while installing my timing belt (possibly). I cannot think of any other reason for my car not to start. It started perfectly before the timing belt and water pump install and now it won't start. What would I have to do to get the cam shaft and crank shaft realigned to exactly where they should be? Keep in mind, if one of these shifted during installation or I did not have it at TDC, what can I check or what can I fix to solve this problem?

• 1 month later...

Issue resolved! I started another thread for the topic, because it was more warranted to start with my discovery of incorrect timing of cam and crank. You can read that thread here:

http://www.hondaforums.com/topic/42328-what-if-timing-belt-is-changed-without-being-tdc/?do=findComment&comment=451911

Archived